Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct Jacking

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct Jacking

I'm needing to jack up my entire unit (33') and wonder if there is a correct placement of the bottle jack--under each axle between the U-bolts seems right. Is it? And is it necessary to alternate the four points of lift in some way? i.e. right front, then left front, then..... ?? Also I think I read a while back that you should have it hooked up to the truck until stabilized with jack stands....can that be right?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.
    Bob & Becky
    Catalina, AZ
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LT 4x4 LB CC 6.6L Duramax / Allison
    B&W Companion
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #38

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's hooked to the truck, it might be less likely to head down hill
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would only jack on the frame if jacking the whole unit. You can use a combination of bottle jacks, jack stands or blocks and the landing gear.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob & Becky,

There has been much discussion of this topic on this forum. if you use the search tool in the upper right corner on key words such as "jacking frame" you will find these earlier threads.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used some jack stands with a hydraulic jack incorporated into the stand. They work great, and can be purchased at Tractor Supply for about forty bucks each. Last year, when storing the unit, I was able to jack up the trailer, set the jack stand, and release the pressure, in one fairly easy movement. Left the trailer for five months, without any issues. I used four stands, one under each area, as near to the ubolts as possible.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently @ Sunshine Key RV Resort
    Big Pine Key, Fl.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have four of the hydraulic jack stands from TSC (per Gord's recommendation ) and these look perfect for long term storage with the tires lifted just off the ground. I will fabricate half-circle saddles (like the one I made for my hydraulic service jack) and lift on the axle between the U bolts. If you dig back though all the related threads on this topic, you can find the many references to Lippert videos and Lippert technicians lifting Lippert RVs in this manner, rather than by the frame.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic Jack Stand.jpg   Axle Saddle.jpg   Axle U Bolts.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gord, Rob, Nick & L.C., Thanks a ton! Yup, thought there must have been articles/discussions etc. about this. I'll keep looking at those but see those combo jack / jack stands as pretty nice and will look at those as well. This last fall I stored it on the tires. I've always jacked up our boat, removed the tires and stored them in a dry place out of the sun.....allows for a much longer life span. So I wanted to do that this next fall with my Reflection; yet I'd heard or read some conflicting advice about where to place the jacks and such....so the question was asked.
    Again, I really appreciate the time spent to answer my question. Happy traveling to all!
    Bob
    Bob & Becky
    Catalina, AZ
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LT 4x4 LB CC 6.6L Duramax / Allison
    B&W Companion
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #38

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob
    For you and any others that have bought the hydraulic jack stands, have you used them much yet. I bought one for tire changes and other maintenance on the rv and other things. It worked about three times and then doesn't develop enough pressure to life one side of the trailer. I am not anywhere near it's capacity. I plan on adding some hydraulic fluid but was wondering if anyone else had used them and had different results.
    Thanks
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ralph,
    Mine are still in the boxes . . . I haven't used them even once. I hope the problem you describe is either not a common problem or can be rectified. Hydraulic jacks are not typically very complicated devices. I will be interested to learn what you discover.
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble with the cheaper jacks is the o- rings. I have had Harbor Freight and Torin jacks and the o- rings don't last long at all. I wouldn't expect TSC to be any better. At least my 20 ton pneumatic over hydraulic HF jack came with an extra o- ring kit. Do you see any oil leaks? If not check the oil level
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast