Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airing Tires

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airing Tires

I am brand new to RVs. Here's my problem, where the heck do you air up RV and tower tires? I have an air compressor at the house and it is rated at over 100 lbs with a 6 gallon tank. It won't come close to putting 100 lbs pressure in a tire. My tow vehicle is 2015 Chevy HD 3500 DRW and calls for 75 front and 65 rear pressures, cold. Again, no can do. Filling stations, fergitaboutit. Tire shops, not for free, I wouldn't think. So???????

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning,
    I'm not sure about all tire centers, but Les Schwab tire store in the Western states will air and check your tires for free as a matter of company policy. My son is an employee of Les Schwab and I have been a customer for 30 years.

Just my $.02
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack,

I think there may be something wrong with your compressor. We carry a compressor with a small tank that's rated for 120 PSI. I don't have anything that requires over 80 PSI, but the compressor has no problem with it and will certainly inflate beyond 80 PSI if I were to let it (have overshot a few few times and had to let air out). You are right to use only a compressor with a tank. Tank-less compressors will put a lot of moister/water into the tire through the compression/condensation process and a tank - which can be drained - eliminates this issue.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use a small 120 psi compressor that I bought at Lowes for about $150, airs up my 80 psi trailer tires and 75 psi truck tires in seconds. You may want to check your connections, make sure they're tight.
    Jim & Ginny
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look and see if you have a regulator on your compressor that reduces the air pressure at the outlet. If so crank it all the way open to allow the compressor to put out the maximum air pressure. Another thing you said caused me to pause. You said your tow vehicle, a Chevy 3500 called for 75PSI front and 65 rear. Did you get these numbers from the sticker on the door? I don't know what you are towing but I think that the air pressures should be closer to the max cold pressure for the max wt as listed on the sidewall of the tire.
    In any case going to a tire dealer to fill and check tires isn't really a good solution when dealing with maintaining you tire pressures on your RV and tow vehicle. If your air compressor isn't adequate you probably should get one that will allow you to do it at least at home and preferably on the road also.
    By the way TXJACK where in Texas are you.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the tire pressure data on the door is more than adequate for the designed capacity of the truck. From Michelin's inflation charts for light truck tires, at 65psi the dual rear wheels have a capacity of 9,880 pounds total. At 80psi the capacity for duals is 11,340 pounds. The last time our 3500 dual cab dually and the 350M were across the scales the weight for the drive axle was 6,900 pounds, almost 3,000 pounds below the max weight at 65psi.

Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colan,
    I missed the drw in his vehicle description.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, RG, we are in Kerrville. Heading down to the coast, Port Arthur probably, next. Hard to tell friends that you own an RV and haven't been able to get out of TX. But then again why bother. We could easily do the next couple of years here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXJACK View Post
    Right now, RG, we are in Kerrville. Heading down to the coast, Port Arthur probably, next. Hard to tell friends that you own an RV and haven't been able to get out of TX. But then again why bother. We could easily do the next couple of years here.
    It usually take us a couple weeks to cross Texas
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast