User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Tires making contact with trailer bottom.

Hi All,

There are areas where the tops of my tires are making contact with the floor of the trailer and wearing away the material. It is worse on driver's side front, then driver's side rear, then curb side rear and no rub on curb side front. I wouldn't assume my measurements (at each wheel posted below) is exact but it's close and was done on level ground with the slides out. I first noticed this many months ago but never got around to posting about it. I don't believe they are getting much worse than they first were but maybe a little. When I first noticed this I blamed it on the process of taking my trailer out of our side yard as it has to jump the curb. Even though I have a 4x6's sitting there it is still a good jostle. I wouldn't imagine it would take even an inch of dragging the trailer on the rolling tire to make this happen.

NOTE: I have 235/85 tires on which are slightly (less than 1"; 235/80 vs 235/85) taller.

Front driver's side has just short of 2" clearance:

Rear driver's side has 2" of clearance:

Anyone with any thoughts about this?

I was thinking of covering the affected area with some gray duct tape after I pull it our next time and then check them every time I stop to see if I can determine any situation or driving condition that is causing the contact.

I would do something in a heart beat to get an inch or so of additional clearance but my research for doing this on my last trailer resulted in an expensive proposition especially since I need so little unlike the folks who are trying to fit 16" rims and tires under a trailer designed for 15".
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rear Curb side has 2 1/2" of clearance:

Front Curb Side has 2 1/2" of clearance:
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem with mine. I put black gorilla tape to keep an eye out it. I think the 29 and 303 guys have this problem as well. I read that someone on here or FB put an extra leaf in the help stabilize the suspension.

Cent frum my sell phone so pleeze excuse my spelling and grahmar.
    Zac and Charlene
    Frank and Bella (four-legged kids)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS- SteadyFast stabilizers, Oxygenics shower head, residential sink faucet, residential mattress.
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT- EFI Live, MBRP 4" exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, AirLift Airbags, RDS 60G combo aux tank, and B&W turnover/Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac808 View Post
    I have the same problem with mine. I put black gorilla tape to keep an eye out it. I think the 29 and 303 guys have this problem as well. I read that someone on here or FB put an extra leaf in the help stabilize the suspension.

Zac, did/does yours still have the Westlake tires on it or did the original owner swap them out?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Michelin XPS Rib 235/85r16. And mine is contacting on fwd pax side only.

Zac and Charlene
    Frank and Bella (four-legged kids)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS- SteadyFast stabilizers, Oxygenics shower head, residential sink faucet, residential mattress.
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT- EFI Live, MBRP 4" exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, AirLift Airbags, RDS 60G combo aux tank, and B&W turnover/Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

We had a lot of discussion a while back about different ways to lift 303s to gain clearance for 16" wheels and tires. One of the ideas that looked good to me was spacers between the springs and the axles. I don't think I would go too tall with these, but the 1" lift would get back the clearance you had with the original tires.
    http://www.trailerblocks.com/collect...ing-tie-plates

Another idea that I like is replacing the original springs with one of a higher rating. For example, if your OEM springs are 6000 lb, replace them with 7000 lb.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul,

We had a lot of discussion a while back about different ways to lift 303s to gain clearance for 16" wheels and tires. One of the ideas that looked good to me was spacers between the springs and the axles. I don't think I would go too tall with these, but the 1" lift would get back the clearance you had with the original tires.
    http://www.trailerblocks.com/collect...ing-tie-plates

Another idea that I like is replacing the original springs with one of a higher rating. For example, if your OEM springs are 6000 lb, replace them with 7000 lb.

Rob
    I was just about to do this on my last trailer when I traded it in. I hate to sound cheap but at $400 that's pricey for such a simple setup. Maybe when I "pull the trigger" on disc brakes I'll add these into the mix.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 303 not a 337 but am curious. Poppy said that he had Michelin XPS Rib 235/85r16 on his trailer. Is this the size tire that came on the trailer originally? My second question is WT. I know the 303's are wt bias on the left. Are the 337's also heavy on the left side. I see that your worst rub in on the left side of the trailer. Have you weighed it side to side?
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGMutchler View Post
    I have a 303 not a 337 but am curious. Poppy said that he had Michelin XPS Rib 235/85r16 on his trailer. Is this the size tire that came on the trailer originally? My second question is WT. I know the 303's are wt bias on the left. Are the 337's also heavy on the left side. I see that your worst rub in on the left side of the trailer. Have you weighed it side to side?
    Not meaning to jump in on Paul's answer, but yes, 303 and 337 have basically the same layout and both are heavy on the left side. Lots of info buried in earlier threads, but to summarize, GDRV spec is minimum 4" clearance above the tires at dry weight. I have 3" left and 3.5" right loaded (empty tanks) and no rub marks on the body above the tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a hunch here but if you're running the LCI Correct track system then you're possibly getting a lot of side to side movement. You can see it in YouTube videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast