User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a bit unclear on Furrion FOS48TA-BL Observation/Backup camera power

After talking with Furrion technical help and Grand Design…….I’m even more confused on the power situation.

According to tech support at Furrion, they recommend that RV manufactures use a connection from the rear marker lights for the pre-wired plug. This way the camera would only have power when the running lights are being used. They said if the plug is directly connected to 12 volts, then the camera will always be on unless a 12 volt in-line switch is also installed.

GD confirmed that the pre-wired plug is directly connected to 12 volts.

So it sounds like the camera will always be on. That does not sound good to me.

What am I missing? What is the proper process here?
    Terry and Eileen
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram Longhorn 3500 4X2 SRW 6.7 Cummins
    Houston Texas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I had read elsewhere that the power is coming from the running lights.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following this one as I am also looking down the road to add a camera to our 380TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The backup camera on my Solitude is always powered on
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having emailed back and forth with GD about this, they told me that they wire it directly to the battery power so the battery disconnect switch doesn't even shut the power off. When I pointed out that it leaves the camera on to drain the battery they claimed that there was not enough draw to do so. I told them BS, my battery is draining down as to not work the auto-level, and they responded with the recommendation of having the battery on a 2 month old camper checked for a bad cell. It's clear to me that they can't/won't recognize the problem here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, my confusion is cleared up after talking to Furrion Tech support, GD engineering and reading a hundred post on the subject.

The pre-wired plug is directly connected to 12 volts, although Furrion suggest to all manufacturing companies to tap into the marker/running lights.
    That being said ….. yes the observation camera is on all the time.

Seems we can tap into the marker lights, pull the fuse when parking, or install a kill switch near the fuse ……. to power off the camera when in storage or not needed.

What have others done?
    Terry and Eileen
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    Houston Texas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Rear View Safety RVS-2CAM backup camera using the existing factory wiring. I cut off the Fusion plug and used the black and red wires on my camera. My camera has a red LED to show you it has power. When I disconnect shore power and flip the battery disconnect switch, it has no power.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcamper View Post
    Ok, my confusion is cleared up after talking to Furrion Tech support, GD engineering and reading a hundred post on the subject.

The pre-wired plug is directly connected to 12 volts, although Furrion suggest to all manufacturing companies to tap into the marker/running lights.
    That being said ….. yes the observation camera is on all the time.

Seems we can tap into the marker lights, pull the fuse when parking, or install a kill switch near the fuse ……. to power off the camera when in storage or not needed.

What have others done?
    I do not have the camera on mine yet but when I do add one I am going to look at how the power is delivered to the camera and take that wire to tap into my reverse light circuit rather than the suggested running lights. This was how I wired my old backup camera and it worked well, when you place the vehicle in reverse you just wait a moment for the camera to wake up and when you take your transmission out of reverse the camera goes off again. Since it is powered by the vehicle reverse circuit it doesn't drain your battery. For me I don't want the camera on at any other time than when I am reversing but I do understand that many people prefer to selectively turn the camera on and off with the running lights so they can use it as a rear view camera. Perhaps if I do see the added safety of a rear view camera I could wire out an auxiliary switch to the center pin instead of the reverse circuit this way I can be more selective but have the ability to turn it off when I am towing at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

I believe i favor a rocker switch, that way my anal self is not breaking a factory seal on a running light and then worrying about re-sealing properly, and this way I would have control to power on/off at any time and any situation. Juat a bit more flexability for me.

I'm thinking of a rocker switch near the auto level control center. Attached are 2 pics from very helpful guys over on the Facebook owners forum. One is the camera fuse and one is an example of a toggle switch installed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera rocker switch.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	3712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3713
    Terry and Eileen
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    Houston Texas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI for those watching this thread and wanting to connect to the running lights instead of hot all the time, adding a switch or breaking into the sealed camera housing and running light.

In the picture above right next to the breaker cover (to the left) is the feed from the 7 way plug. If you dig into it a little you will find the running lights feed. On my Momentum I believe it was green. A crimp splice connector can be used to slice into it with the camera feed wire that goes under that cover. I just took the camera feed off of the breaker terminal, cut off the loop connector and then used the splice connector to the running lights. 5 minute job after I found the correct wires.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast