Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as fulltimer , which type fridge do you all like

We are retired, have been living fulltime aboard out boat the last five years and am starting to plan on moving to a land Yacht in the 40ft range for full time living. I am wondering which type of refer works best a residential or the RV 2way type. We are fine with either as far as storage space, we do a shopping once a month right now and it all fits fine in a 12cf apt size refer. We will be doing some Boondocking, maybe a couple weeks at a time now and then. So I am trying to decide on do I want to run a genset a lot for a residential or buy / install larger battery bank to run the 12volt type if I don't want to use propane ? What do you full time guys and gals think ?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the gas/electric refer but we have good friends that we travel with that bought a Redwood 41 ft. last year with a residential refer and wishes he had the gas/electric version. They are not full timing and store it at a lot with no electricity. If he turns on the refer the night before we leave to cool it down it won't run over night without killing his batteries. When the batteries get down to ~11 volts the inverter shuts down along with the refer. It pulls 4 amps (120 v) when running. Once its cooled down it doesn't run that often. The other cons: is it is nearly impossible to winterize the ice maker, he unhooked it and doesn't plan on using it again and the doors don't latch... coming open going down the road and spilling stuff out on the floor. Convinced me to stick with the gas/electric RV refer. Would be great for a setup where you are at a fixed location with power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not propane?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanksCfly , i am leaning towards the 12v/gas rv type but wanted to hear other opinions.
    LC,im not sure what your saying /asking to be honest. i dont have anything against propane refers just looing for different pros and cons been close to 20 yrs since we had a 5vr and so just curious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered why you didn't want to use propane. I think it's the most efficient way to run refrigerator without shore power. Most RVs use 110 or LP. It would take some big batteries to run very long on 12 VDC
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firedreamer View Post
    So I am trying to decide on do I want to run a genset a lot for a residential or buy / install larger battery bank to run the 12volt type if I don't want to use propane ?
    Hey firedreamer,

Your original post suggested that you might not want to use propane . . . which I expect is where LC's question came from.

This is our first RV after many years in boats. Boats don't use propane fridges so I also was only familiar with 12VDC or 120VAC. I was kind of surprised to find that our RV Atwood fridge was two way and not three way, even though the info indicates that it could be built as a three way. After getting used to this thing, I can see why. Propane is a very efficient means of running the fridge with only a limited 12VDC draw to run the control circuits.

We came from a 10 cu ft small residential fridge on the boat (with inverter, large battery bank and frequent generator use) to the 8 cu ft propane/shore power fridge on our Reflection. Our mode of "snow birding" keeps us reasonably close to grocery stores, so this works, but the fridge is a little small. I am really impressed with how well it works on propane . . . probably a little better than it does on shore power.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have gas/electric you have options. Solar is a very expensive choice by the time you add batteries, inverter, panels and charge controller.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually