User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Questions about 303rls Pin Box Height

Anyone know the Pin Box Height of the 2016 303rls when setting level?
    Also the Height to the bottom of the 5th wheel over hang.
    I have called Grand Design and e-mailed and for some reason can't seem to get a measurement from them.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin Height

Quote Originally Posted by Rick&Judy View Post
    Anyone know the Pin Box Height of the 2016 303rls when setting level?
    Also the Height to the bottom of the 5th wheel over hang.
    I have called Grand Design and e-mailed and for some reason can't seem to get a measurement from them.
    Not sure what you are asking. When you level the coach, then measure from the pin to the ground. Height to the bottom of over hang???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Evening:
    Yes I was curious the height measurement from the flat portion of the pin box that mounts on the 5th wheel hitch to the ground so I could judge how that will affect my current bed height and was also curious what the overall height measurement to the bottom to the 5th wheel over hang is to the ground when level so I could look at based on the bed height of my truck will I have 5 or 6 inches clearance with this model. Thanks for the replay hope that makes more sense.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A long time ago on this forum, we compared a lot of measurements between the 303 and the 337, because those with the 303 were having problems towing the trailer level with reasonable (5" to 6") clearance over the box rails on many of the newer trucks. The 337s were OK. The short version of that long story is that the (early) 303s are 59" from overhang to ground and the 337s are 61" from overhang to ground. Mid 2016MY, GDRV added a 2" spacer between the suspension and the frame rails of the 303. Net result is that the new 303s are likely 61" from overhang to ground when the trailer is level. This means that your box rails are going to be at about 55" from ground when carrying the trailer to tow level.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob:
    I have a F350 4X4 6.7 and it sets at 57.75 top of rear rail and I do not imagine the pin weight of that unit is going to do much to push down on my suspension so I am a little concerned with getting a level ride for the trailer. I did call Grand Design and they confirmed that the suspension is set up on a 8 inch beam with a 2inch additional support with is what you are saying. They also said that the system is not set up to easily be adjusted for additional height and they do not recommend raising the unit. Which I would not expect them to recommend anything as such. Strange thing though he was looking at the design drawings while giving me this information but would not give me a pin box height or any additional height info. I asked what was an acceptable nose high position to tow that unit and he said none was recommended for safe towing and avoiding tire issues such as tire failure. Thanks for your info that does help

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,

I think you have a good measure of this. The info that you obtained from GDRV is more than any others (on this forum) have been able to obtain. Interesting that it aligns with what we have measured and calculated. The Lippert suspension is fairly forgiving on sharing load fore/aft even if the trailer is not perfectly level. We tow about an inch high at the front and I can measure this when checking tire temps. The rears are always a few degrees hotter than the fronts.

Pin box height and hitch height are both adjustable by a couple of inches. This might be why GDRV does not want to quote exact numbers. We tow at 5" clearance between the overhang and the box rails. Less than I would like, but if I increase this, the trailer will be more nose high. We have come close to contact on a twisting downhill exit from a campsite, but have never touched.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I had a chance to look at the 303rls unit today and I may be able to make it work on my PV. The unit was setting fairly level when I measured 63 inches from the ground to the bottom of the over hang and I measured 54 inches to the bottom of the pin box while the pin box was in the highest position that it could be bolted into. It will be close.