Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory installed AC vs Dealership installed

Hello, we finally decided on the Reflection model we want to get (318RST). There are two dealerships in my area that have this model with the same options except one dealership's unit has a second AC. They are asking $4,000 more. I asked this dealership what it would cost to add a second AC if it didn't come with it and they said around $1,600. So the second AC is not the reason for asking $4K more at least not entirely. Now, my question is whether it is better to have the AC unit factory installed or does it matter? Paying an additional $1,600 to add a second AC at time of purchase would save me $2,400. Thank you in advance for your opinion and suggestions.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The installation is the same whether the factory does it or the dealer does it. But hurry up! It's almost camping season... ;-)

Jim

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the second a/c installed by the dealer in my 29rs. No problems. Just make sure you are getting a unit installed that is tied into the existing duct work. Some sorry dealers will try to just install a ductless unit because it's easier and cheaper. There are several advantages to having both units ducted together. For one, if one unit fails the second unit still sends cool air to all of the RV. Second the Dometic AC's are louder than the Atwoods that GD used to use. Since Atwood was bought out by Dometic and they no longer make the quieter Atwood units you will hear a lot of complaints about the noise. One way around this is to run the bedroom ac while you are watching TV and then when you go to bed turn off the bedroom unit and turn on the living room unit. Also make sure they don't try to put a Coleman a/c in. They don't exactly have a great reputation- at least that's the experience my brother and nephew have had.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I guess one thing I would make sure of is what A/C unit they are going to add for $1,600. I'm not sure what units GD is now putting in the 2016 models but I would give up a couple inches in height if I would have added an Atwood as my front A/C, which were still available a year ago, instead of my Dometic. The Atwood in our main cabin is 10 times quieter than the "low profile" Dometic. Now I haven't done any research on A/C brands, quietness, etc., I'm just saying I would ask questions first. BTW, we had our A/C dealer installed and it was done just as well as it would have been if at the factory. I can't tell you specifically how much we paid because it was negotiated into the price of the trailer as an "add it or no sale" item after we negotiated our price.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I guess one thing I would make sure of is what A/C unit they are going to add for $1,600. I'm not sure what units GD is now putting in the 2016 models but I would give up a couple inches in height if I would have added an Atwood as my front A/C, which were still available a year ago, instead of my Dometic. The Atwood in our main cabin is 10 times quieter than the "low profile" Dometic. Now I haven't done any research on A/C brands, quietness, etc., I'm just saying I would ask questions first. BTW, we had our A/C dealer installed and it was done just as well as it would have been if at the factory. I can't tell you specifically how much we paid because it was negotiated into the price of the trailer as an "add it or no sale" item after we negotiated our price.
    The front a/c's aren't low profile units. They are the full height Dometic that everyone seems to be going too. Even with it I am sitting at 12"5" with my 29rs. I believe GD quotes 12' for my unit without the a/c so even though the a/c is a full profile unit it only raises the height by about 5" because the front of the RV drops down.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a front ac added on our 303 last year at the rally by GD. It is the penquin II by dometic and it is a low profile.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to add a second unit on my 323BHS. I'm going to use the Dometic Penguin II ducted unit. After looking at the installation instructions online, it shouldn't take but a couple of yhours tops to install one. Last time I looked online, I think I could buy the a/c unit for under $1k.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your advise. It puts me at ease to know dealer installed should be no different than factory installed. This definitely helps with deciding which dealer to go with. I wonder if there are some Atwood units still out there that would be available as my second AC. I like the quieter aspect PMjohndeerefarmer mentioned in his post. Thanks again!