Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to Marathon, FL April 2016

Any Grand Design owners going to be in the Florida Keys in April? We stay at Knights Key Campground in Marathon, just before the 7 mile bridge. It's been sold, so this is probably the last year, as new owner is a developer and going to a build resort. Too bad. Getting harder to find affordable campsites in the Keys. If you'll be in the area, let us know. We'd like to meet other GD owners. We fish as much as the weather allows and dock our 27' Center Console right behind our 337RLS. If you're into fishing, we'd love to have you go with us. Making new friends and memories.
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS
    Sailfish 266CC Twin Yamaha 150's 4 stroke
    Ford F-350XLT 4X4 SRW 6.7 Diesel Long Bed

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I just left Sunshine Key RV Resort, on the north end of Big Pine key. Great location, but packed in like sardines. We are used to staying in State Parks, which usually offer larger and more scenic sites. We were advised by some friends that the resort listed above was going to be sold, and next year will be more difficult to find a good RV park in the Florida Keys. CaseyKey we are planning to return next year, if we can find a spot. I do like to fish, and would like to tag along if possible.

Janet and Gord Fuchs
    Presently at Camp Creek State Park and Forest
    Southern West Virginia off 77

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all prime real estate, and they ain't making no more
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gordo and Janet. I replied to your reply and I think maybe rather than it posting on the forum it went as a PM. It's really a challenge to get any campsite at the State Parks in the Keys. As I stated in the PM, my wife and I have been visiting Marathon twice a year for the past 9 years and WOW, how the increase in traffic and people have exploded! I guess people are discovering our little piece of heaven. Soon it will be as crowded as the rest of the Florida shoreline. And LCBoyer, you are absolutely right - they ain't making no more.
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to the Keys for our first time ever in June. We reserved our sites 9 months ahead and still had to through five other campgrounds before we found one with sites on the water that were available. June isn't supposed to be busy season I thought, no snow birds, & before lobster season. Sounds like they need more campgrounds, not less.
    Anyway, we're staying at Sugarloaf KOA, mm20, almost all the way to Key West. Looks like they pack em in there tight. Hope it's fun!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott and Jan. I think you'll love the area. Let us know what you think of the Sugarloaf KOA. I've been looking for other campsites in the lower keys. The Knights Key Campground sold for around $20 million!! The new resort project call for $200 million with 199 high end condos, over $500/night stay. The Keys, like a lot of other places is pricing the average guy out. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS