User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HankABG

Reflection Electrical Fire

We took delivery of a 2016 Reflection 27RL 5th wheel on 2-11. It had an electrical fire under the right slide out on 2-13. Has anyone had similar experiences? Wondering about repair times and if smoke smell lingered.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of this problem with your new trailer. I haven't heard of another fire in a Reflection. Do you know what exactly caught fire?
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

HankABG
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like it started at a 110 volt junction at the right frame rail under the right rear slide. Burned the junction as well as the wiring to the slide. Not sure what else was affected.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daaaamnnnn, never heard of that happening on a new unit no less. Let us know the results of the investigation.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't heard of any fires on GD units, don't know about repair times (depends on the damage). Did the coach get visible smoke inside? The smoke smell won't just go away, a through cleaning of everything, walls, floors, carpet, window treatments, etc. will have to take place and a couple of days of ozone or hydroxyl treatment will have to take place. Have them treat the coach interior and the basement. Don't let someone talk you into just cleaning and spraying a deodorant (it will wear off). A professional service in the smoke odor removal business should be used, not the RV dealer. I would insist on the ozone or hydroxyl treatment. This all depends on the extent of the smoke intrusion into the coach. Good luck and sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might consider discussing the possibility of replacing the entire unit. With it being only 2 days old, it is essentially a new unit that is no longer in new condition. Not so sure I would want a new car that has had damage repaired (that wasn't my fault) so why would I want a repaired 5th wheel that costs even more than my car. I was an electrical contractor for years and was involved in rewiring many fire jobs. I have to agree with Clsfly about the steps to get it back to new condition. It was very rare for a repair to not have odor unless they did a very complete and professional job. Well beyond what an RV dealer will do. I think I would be asking for a new unit and if they decline at leasst I have set the bar high for their repairs and deodorizing.
    2016 2600RB Imagine Travel Trailer

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hank--never heard about this on any GDRV in our nearly 2 years of owning and forum involvement. This sounds serious.....what has your dealer and GDRV said about this ? Please share some pictures.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Bob, I'm sure the dealer is going to be reluctant to trade, I would run this replacement option by someone at Grand Design and see what they say, Remember you never get what you deserve only what you negotiate for.

Chuck

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there actually smoke inside the trailer? If it was just on the outside the smell should disappear.

HankABG
    The Grand Design loss inspector was out yesterday. He said he was unable to determine the exact cause but it appears to be a problem with a 110 volt junction at the
    Rt. Rear Frame Rail feeding the rt slide out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast