Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid rv country dealership at all cost

I realize at the outset of this thread, there will be a wide range of opinions on this subject. I have faced this issue before with other brands; however, it does not change my position. When we bought our 2016 308BHTS the local Seattle / Northwest dealer did not have the model we wanted in stock and they where not getting one anytime soon. This forced us to go out of state and buy our rig.

It is now time for service and to get a punch list of warranty items repaired. I sent a PDF with photographs and description of all warranty items to the service Manager at Paul Evert RV in Mt Vernon Washington. Upon reaching them by phone the Service Manager opened the conversation by giving me a lecture that in most cases items customers want to get fixed are really not warranty or something that is the responsibility of the selling dealer. I am not really a big fan of starting a relationship with a service provider by talking about all the ways “we won’t help you.” The conclusion of our conversation was not much better--in essence Paul Evert RV Country refused to service my trailer due to the fact I did not purchase it from them. Only if I agreed to pay the shop rate with cash would they service us. I let them know my family was already talking about an upgrade to a 5th wheel in the very near future and this action on their part would eliminate their being the dealer of consideration--this did not sway their point-of-view.

http://www.rvcountry.com/about-us-mt...rv-dealer.aspx

I have heard the arguments that this tactic is reasonable for the dealer to protect their business and trade area. The fact of the matter is this practice is bad for the consumer. If i want to have my rig serviced by a dealer and be able to utilize the factory warranty, this requires me to limit my search and frankly pay whatever price the local dealer demands. In essence, the local dealer can fix pricing because the consumer has no choice. It is a form of price fixing.

I also think it hurts the RV industry. Ford Motor Company would not dream of doing anything but enabling consumers from seeking service and warranty support from any Ford brand dealership anywhere there is a flag. Not doing so, tarnishes the overall manufacturer’s brand image.

Conversely, the dealer is loosing prospects and the opportunity to build a relationship that could result in a sale down the road. Very short-sighted and small business mind perspective.
    214Skier
    2016 Solitude 377MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not agree more, thank you for posting this.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This kind of "buyer-be-damned" is rampant in the RV industry. You might check with Grand Design. I believe they may allow a mobile RV repair service to address the warranty items on your RV. But it's their call.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    This kind of "buyer-be-damned" is rampant in the RV industry. You might check with Grand Design. I believe they may allow a mobile RV repair service to address the warranty items on your RV. But it's their call.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. I already have a call into GD to find an alternative resource to repair our trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    214Skier
    2016 Solitude 377MB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like most dealers have poor service after the sale. I get service from a business that only services and doesn't sell RVs. So far so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay tuned. The GM of the dealership called me and apologize profusely for what he called a “fundamental break down in service” on their part (I had left him an email notifying him of my complaint). He assured me his Service Manager was totally off base and they make it a practice to service any rig regardless of where it was purchased. In addition to the service revenue, they view it as an opportunity to “earn a customer” whom they may sell to in the future. While I support and agree with his philosophical claim, I reiterated to him that there was nothing left to interpretation, his Manager was flat refusing service on the basis that i did not purchase my RV from that store / dealership.

I am not sure where the break down is occurring within their organization; however, I did tell him that I am a man of second chances and appreciate his time to call me back and would give them a shot. Someone is meeting me at the dealership on Saturday to take possession of my RV and to facilitate its repair. I will keep you all informed of how this unfolds. I am cautiously optimistic this will turn out to be positive.

In the meantime, we as consumers need to stand firm against this practice. I hope Grand Design and the rest of the RV OEMs do more to prevent their representatives from tarnishing the brand by delivering protectionist services post-sale.
    214Skier
    2016 Solitude 377MB

C130TN
    I'm guessing they got a call from Grand Designs.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most RV Manuf.'s do not have an agreement that states the dealers will honor the warranty of RV's not sold by that dealer. Jayco is one of the few (or at least was) whose warranty is good at all Jayco dealers. When you buy an RV dealers tend to forget to tell you that the warranty obligation only applies to them. You think you bought a nationwide warranty but haven't. I don't know what GD's agreement with the dealers is specifically but they have made some noise about having dealers that would service any unit if you have a problem on the road. The advantage to GD, so far, has been that they are pretty liberal in allowing you to look to different sources to service and do warranty work on their products.

Note:
    I started this post before the call from the dealership trying to make nice but I got busy and after I finally did post it I noticed the other actions and posts.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the focus of a fairly detailed discussion at the Rally meeting with GDRV. They made it quite clear that their agreement with their dealers does not require that a dealer service units purchased elsewhere. They do have fairly strongly worded advice on their website about "buy from your local dealer." As someone who is usually thousands of miles from my selling dealer (who is close to my home) . . . I wish this were different.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had warranty work done by McClain's RV in Rockwall, TX about a year ago, they had a letter composed by Grand Design framed and posted on the wall that told of their commitment to service those traveling at a high priority. In this letter, GD committed to quick authorization of warranty repairs as well as sending parts. Signatures seen were Bill, Ron and Don as well as dealer personnel.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast