User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bob1340

RAM 2500 6'4' bed and 337RLS question

I spoke with a GD factory rep and he assured me I can tow this trailer without a sliding hitch. The dealer said he has sold many Reflections to short bed users without a slider, but I never trust dealers. From my measurements I think they are both right though. I may be getting the trailer sometime later this year. I'll need to buy a hitch first of course. I am looking at the Anderson Ultimate or the Reese Goosebox with air. The Anderson has the advantage of having some adaptability in moving the trailer back and forth, 2 different positions. The Goosebox has the advantage of the air and shock system making things smooth and being approved by Lippert. Both have the advantage of not having a big heavy hitch in the bed for my old bad back to move and also less hitch weight.

Does anyone have a combo like this? Can you get a good 70 degree turn or so?

Thanks, Bob

grocery guy
    Bob,
    I have a 2014 Ram 2500 SB like you, I purchased the automatic sliding hitch. If I had to do it over again I would make sure I got a shorter one as my 5th wheel is shorter than my bed. I do have 4 wheel drive and sit taller, no lift kit. I can turn fairly sharp with no issues, it does feel a little unnatural at first as the hitch slides and you will a tug, this is normal.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3500 SB. I use the Anderson hitch which I highly recommend. A 30lb hitch is nice to lift out on my own. I have no issues with turning, but I had to rotate the adapter 180 degrees for the 337 to move it forward in the bed because it has a longer pin box than my previous Montana. The curved sides give plenty of clearance between the nose and the cab.
    Last edited by jkib2238; 03-07-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2008 F350 6.4 Diesel Quad Cab w/short bed and a 337RLS with Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch. Works perfectly with short bed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we took delivery of our 323BHS with our 2013 Ram 2500 CC/SB 4x4 we have gone on 2 trips one with a B&W companion and one with the Anderson. The difference between to the two is noticeable, but not that easy to quantify. So lets see how I do with this. The B&W is heavy and solid, did I mention heavy, even split into the head and base it is difficult to handle alone after a long day of work. Towing feel is rock solid, smooth, steady and quite. Cab clearance is a little tight on angles backing in, even with the clearanced cap on the trailer it gets close and tight fast. I have to back up into the pad on the side of my house at an angle. I pulled in and out 3 times and never had a problem with the B&W but there was not much margin for error. The Anderson Aluminum version was installed incorrectly by me, and my refusal to reread the simple install instructions, we towed through the worst weather I have ever been in on the road into Beatty NV last weekend.The actual towing experience as it relates to the truck and trailer interaction was different but amazing. The setback on the Anderson makes tight corners, even at angles, far less stressful, yes you can still hit the cab but it takes a lot more to get there to cause damage. The trailer moves independent of the truck and even with extremely strong cross winds never felt anything less than rock solid and connected. The biggest difference came when it was time to unload the hitch from the truck bed, 5 minutes and it was out, finished and done, all by myself. I tightened the bolts in the wrong order and did not tension the B&W gooseneck ball but the hitch barely moved in the entire 245 mile wind cursed trip up. On the way back after reading and correcting my errors the hitch was locked down and perfect in what turned out to be gnarly winds again, although mainly head winds on the way home. THe weight, simplicity and adjustability are hard to beet in a short bed pickup.
    2018 Momentum 351M
    2017 RAM 3500 CC/LB SRW CTD

bob1340
    So you use the BW turnover? What position did you have the adapter in, fore or aft?

bob1340
    Another question. Do you have the auto level on your truck or just the coils? The 323BHS and 337RLS are spec wise pretty close. Just wondering how well your truck towed it. I know my 6.4 Hemi rig has more cargo capacity than your CTD but it's gonna be over for me a bit with hitch weight for me as well.

grocery guy
    Bob,
    I have air bags on my truck and I usually only put 30 to 40 PSI in them. I also have a 4x4 truck with a Superglide automatic sliding hitch which makes my trailer tilt upwards a bit, I wish i was down about 6". I will need to keep an eye on the tires to see how they wear, flipping the axels is not an option for me. It tows perfectly, I had it loaded with water, wood, fuel, and few hundred pounds of additional cargo to see how it would feel. I averaged about 12 mpg with my Ram when towing. The sliding hitch / 5th wheel is a little getting used to as it does not turn as fast as a tow behind. Two trips and I am still not comfortable, I need to install my Furrion camera this weekend but won't have a chance. I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The block ball cup is forward of the pin to make more room slightly. And I use the BW turnover. No auto level on the truck. A one ton just has the leaf springs. Did not need the air bags or any extra lift. I have had the ball on the Andersen at the highest point and the lowest point. Works well both ways. Maybe I should try the middle position. The 350 6.4 turbo pulls the 337RLS beautifully. Have not checked mpg yet. Not really concerned with that as we have the trailer of my dreams. My wife has hip replacement surgery tomorrow so our camping is delayed a couple of months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bob,

You CAN tow it with a 2500, but...my dealer told me that you absolutely can not kiss the cab with the 30 degree cutback on the front of the 337 AND that I would NEVER need my slide hitch ever again. I foolishly didn't check those statements and dinged the cab of my 2500 pretty good (didn't take out my back window thankfully)...so bottom line...NEVER believe a dealer (my bad completely), and make sure you have a sliding hitch if you anticipate any sharp backing...
    Marlin & Laree Snyder
    Piper (Golden Retriever)
    Baker City, OR

2016 Reflection 337RLS (Piper's new dog house that she condescends to allow humans to inhabit occasionally)
    2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Shortbox Mega Cab 6.7L Diesel SRW
    Mopar (Ha! Curt) 25k Hitch

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...pswxidsicb.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast