Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Route help to Mesa, AZ.

Looking for advice on a good route to Mesa, starting in Nashville, TN. I had figured to take I-40 all the way Flagstaff and go south on I-17 to Mesa. It's all expressway and I think, maybe, the best way through the mountains. Family advice suggested looking at I-40 to I-30 to I-20 to Tucson and coming north from there. Stated its much flatter, easier to pull the Solitude. Any thoughts from the experienced travellers? Thanks.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I40 probably has more trucks and West Texas doesn't have a lot to look at or many stopping points. If you take I40 look at turning left at Winslow, AZ and taking 87 through Payson down into Mesa. It's not all freeway, but a pretty good road, more scenic and shorter.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd stick with your original route if you want to remain on the interstate. It is 106 miles closer than the route your family proposed. There are some grades (up and down) to contend with, but unless you're seriously under powered, it's not a bad route.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tucson Jim. You might watch the weather for Flagstaff. Not any serious up hills that I remember.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the I-17 leg from Flagstaff to Phoenix, there is a fairly mean grade to climb on the south side of Camp Verde. It's long, and 8-10% iirc. Also dropping down into the valley floor north of Phoenix from Sunset Point can also be a handful. It's a long steep downhill with a bunch of 50 mph curves. Nothing you can't handle in a properly stable rig, but you will definitely need your full attention on the road.

Try not to make that leg of the trip on a Sunday afternoon. All the weekend warriors are coming back into the valley (Phoenix) at that time, and traffic gets pretty bad. Also, God forbid there is a wreck, traffic will be at a standstill for hours. I pulled many disabled and/or wrecked vehicles off of that leg when I used to run a wrecker. If you're going during the hot season, make sure your cooling system is fully up to snuff. That long pull up out of Camp Verde will find any flaws in your cooling system.

Last time I made the trip 2 years ago, I-40 was almost fully redone between Albuquerque, NM and Flagstaff, AZ, with only a few "bad" spots left.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Sedona to Phoenix on a Sunday FORGET IT!! They drive insane will not ever do it again period!!!
    Gary and Lisa
    2016 Reflection 27rl
    05 Silverado 2500hd Duramax
    Bailey a Maltipoo. Mike a Bichonpoo[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/https://goo.gl/photos/TdfLaZHpXE4i1FYm6]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did I40 from Western AZ to Memphis, TN a few years ago. Worst part of the whole trip was Oklahoma City, that is the worst road I have ever towed on. I fully expected the overhead kitchen cabinets to be on the floor when we stopped.
    The Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, Groom, TX is a great stop. You can't miss it, huge cross on side of road. Winslow, AZ was a fun little town, and we were lucky enough to be going through during the Albuqurqee Ballon Fest, definitely worth a visit. Lots to see out there. Enjoy!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just took Route 17from Flagstaff toMesa there are some 7% grades. They were each about five miles long not to bad. Exhaust brake on my truck worked fine. I like I40 more stops along the way. Was just at Flagstaff a few days ago weather was cool but no snow. Biggest issue was gusty winds at times. I pull A Solitude 369RL

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I've mapped it out both ways and may be making a game day decision.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]