User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace Kant-Leak with Nautilus P1

Has anyone with the Kant-Leak valve system replaced theirs with the Nautilus P1 and if so, how tough of a job is it? I'm thinking this might be the one mod that would make our 323 perfect!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read of anyone doing this but would also be interested in the details. From comparing the 2 systems, it would appear at first blush that a lot of re-plumbing of lines would need to be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion it would be trouble than worth. If mine fails, I will replace with new Kantleak or a couple gate valves
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe my opinion only but I think that the KantLeak system can be made leak free...either switch the plastic tee to a brass one or tape/dope the existing connections along with replacing the selector valve stem. The valve stem will be to be removed periodically and lubricated with plumbers grease. The Nautilus P1 system has about twice the number of connections...twice the number of potential leaks.

It's possible to switch if you desire but you'd need to determine the existing piping system to be able to adapt it to a Nautilus panel.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not had any trouble from our kantleak system as yet. Still waiting. I don't think GD has been using the nautilus system long enough yet to know if it will be trouble free. Could end up being worse than the kantleak.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of the Anderson system is actually very clever. A single four position valve plus a water heater bypass.
    Choosing to save a few cents with a plastic rather than a brass T and installing cartridges without all their O rings . . . poor production choices / process.

The possibility of a leaking connection at one of the hose connections done by GDRV is probably no different with either control panel.
    The possibility of a connection working loose during travel is always there with any system.

Once the plastic T is replaced with a brass one, and a cartridge with all its O rings in place is installed, the system will operate as designed.
    Although Anderson says this is not necessary, I always release any water pressure from the system and always turn the valve clockwise.

I can't see a need to replace a system that now works properly. (Just my opinion)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies so far. Perhaps I should add that once I tightened up a couple of connections in the back, I've had no leaks. What I'm not a fan of is having the panel replaced and replacing the cartridge on a unit that's not even a year old, and only had 20 or so days of use. Yes, the cartridge is easy enough to replace, and I'll likely get another spare or two for the next time it fails. And yes, I also release any water pressure and turn the valve clockwise. Just wondering if there's a solution that would be lower maintenance overall and not require having to order spare parts every couple of months.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still on my first valve cartridge. I have removed, inspected, lubed and reinstalled it once. I do have a spare on hand .
    This is across two years of ownership and 8 months of use. (two snowbird winters).
    In the grand scheme of RV problems and maintenance . . . this is definitely at the lower/easier end.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I'm still on my first valve cartridge. I have removed, inspected, lubed and reinstalled it once. I do have a spare on hand .
    This is across two years of ownership and 8 months of use. (two snowbird winters).
    In the grand scheme of RV problems and maintenance . . . this is definitely at the lower/easier end.

Rob

Unless your valve lets loose at midnight and fills your basement with water which you don't discover until a neighbor bangs on your door at 7 am.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Unless your valve lets loose at midnight and fills your basement with water which you don't discover until a neighbor bangs on your door at 7 am.
    Thats what my basement and underbelly water alarms are for . . .

The Kantleak assembly leaks are always drips. The cartridge failure usually directs city water to the fresh water tank which eventually comes out the tank overflow. If a connection blows apart and floods the basement, this is not likely to be the fault of either the Kantleak or the Nautilus panel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast