Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shower door leaking

So after re-caulking the shower door rail twice to prevent water from leaking out when taking showers, I looked to see where the water was leaking while my wife took a shower. It turns out the water "leaks" by splashing out of the door rail, not leaking under it. In other words, if water splashes into the rail on the inside, it will then splash up and over the outside of the rail. No amount of caulking will prevent that. The real problem is the shower doors on our 2016 Reflection 318RST are mounted incorrectly. Our shower door has three panels and the inner most panel should be nearest the shower head where water gets splashed. But ours are installed backwards. This puts the panel nearest the shower head in the outside rail which allows water to splash out of the shower. What's weird is when we bought the RV we both looked at the shower door and said, hey, those door panels seem like they are mounted backwards. Very frustrating.

This picture shows how our door closes with the panel on the "outside" of the rail which allows water to splash outside the door and onto the floor. It should be on the inside rail.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	3864
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't be too hard to correct
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I looked to see where the water was leaking while my wife took a shower.

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	3864
    Likely story.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's exactly how they are mounted in our 337 and we have no leaking or "splashing out". I'd look for some other reason.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same mounting for our 350M. Not sure the latch for holding the door closed when traveling would work if the panels were mounted in reverse.

Since the trailer is not handy I can't check this. The track should have drain holes through the side that allow water to drain back into the shower base. I know I've seen these holes on residential showers, never bothered to look in the trailer.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm the only one (385TH) that has it correct. The gap between the panels should face away from the showerhead to avoid spray going between them.

I would think it can be switched around, since my guess is they just installed them wrong.

Do you guys with "backward" panels enter the shower at the showerhead end? (non-movable door panel furthest from showerhead?)

EDIT: It looks like the 318, 337, 350 & 385 are all the same orientation for entry and exit of the shower.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    That's exactly how they are mounted in our 337 and we have no leaking or "splashing out". I'd look for some other reason.
    Oh I know for sure it's the splashing water. I can clearly see it happening. When a big stream of water hits the shower door and track, water splashed up and over the edge. Again, it's not leaking or seeping from under the track. It only splashes up and out when a big stream of water hits the door and track.

Colan- The track does have drain holes and you are correct, it would take some work to move the latch to another door panel.

In the mean time what I'm doing is putting a shammy towel in the track at the bottom while taking a shower. That prevents the water from splashing out from under the door panel.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 328M has the glass with the closest to the shower head on the inside and the gaps in the panels facing away from the shower, Like JCR GD has. Guess we had the Wednesday assembled rigs! lol
    Glenn and Paula Butler
    2015 Momentum 328M
    2012 Chevy 3500 Dually
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2butler View Post
    My 328M has the glass with the closest to the shower head on the inside and the gaps in the panels facing away from the shower, Like JCR GD has. Guess we had the Wednesday assembled rigs! lol
    I know you're just kidding about the build day but it all depends on which side you are entering the shower on. In the 337 and I suspect the OP's 318, we enter at the shower head as our vanity is blocking the other side. The entrance door, no matter which bathroom layout (and therefore which side you enter) must be on the outside track or you will be limited on space to get in.

Or at least that's what it looks like to me
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic from a 380TH. Same setup as mine. Closest panel to showerhead is inside of others.

Name:	Shower door.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	3866
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast