Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Follow up on leaking grease seals/contaminated brakes.

At the beginning of 2015, I reported that my grease seals were leaking and had contaminated my brakes. At that time, I replaced the grease seals with the e-Trailer brand, and replaced the manual adjust brakes with self adjusting brakes from Lippert. I'm happy to report that after putting on an additional 8,000 miles, the new brakes are wearing nicely, and that there has been zero grease getting past the seals!

I did notice some very minor spalling on the Chinese manufactured bearings (22K miles), so I've ordered new Timken bearings to replace them.

If any of you are ever looking for wheel end component part numbers (bearings, race, grease seals, etc.), you can find them in the Lippert Components Towable Master Manual that was included with your owner's documentation. The parts for my 6,000 pound axle are listed on page 78.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim-

What is your opinion on the brake performance of your current setup? Do you feel as many do that disc brakes are the only solution to get decent braking performance? I assume you are using the Ford integrated controller?

Joel
    Joel & Amber
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 3500 Diesel SRW, 4X4 Tradesman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel, my trailer is heavier than yours, but I could not believe the difference disc brakes made in stopping distances
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWPeters View Post
    Jim-

What is your opinion on the brake performance of your current setup? Do you feel as many do that disc brakes are the only solution to get decent braking performance? I assume you are using the Ford integrated controller?

Joel
    Joel,

I am using the built in Ford controller. When I installed these brakes, I manually adjusted them before hitting the road, and the auto adjusters have done the job ever since. I jacked up the rig and checked each brake when I had about 3,000 and 6,000 miles on the brakes, and they were still perfectly adjusted. Now, with about 8,000 miles on them, the shoes are worn about 30-40%.

I can stop over a much shorter distance than I have been able to with previous rigs. I'm very confident that the truck/trailer brake combination will be able to stop me in an emergency. I also considered a disc brake conversion, but based upon my experience, I feel like I'm in good control. There is a substantial investment to switch to disc brakes, but I'm sure you could get some additional return on that investment if and when you sell the trailer. Don't get me wrong, disc brakes probably offer the best braking solution. It will be interesting to see if any glitches develop for the guys making the conversion. Of course the ideal test would be to take two identical truck and trailer combos and have them do a side by side braking test.

If you consider changing your brakes from manual adjusting to self adjusting, make sure you purchase the "forward adjusting version". For my 337 with 6,000 pound axles, the Camping World part numbers are:

Left Hand - 63695
    Right Hand - 63696

This is the entire brake assembly including backing plate, hardware, shoes and electrical connectors. They are manufactured by Lippert, and run about $73 per unit.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've certainly considered the disc brake conversion for our 337 in particular because I'm towing gas truck...only wish that the exchange wasn't so high which adds another 40% to the cost. For those with diesel trucks and a exhaust brake, I would have thought that stopping wouldn't be an issue.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am convinced the grease leaking is a combination of crappy grease that becomes liquid oil, cheap seals and the rough handing damaging seals at Lippert putting it all together. I pulled wheels after 1000 miles, removed the grease, cleaned the bearings, replaced the seals and repacked with good grease. Grease on the brakes is not good, hard enough to stop these rigs in an emergency.
    I'm hoping the RV industry catches on and provides disc brakes at least as an option if not standard. Expensive but much safer. The electric friction drum brakes haven't changed much since early 1900's. The disc brakes will stop a 15,000 lb. trailer (60 mph) in half the distance vs. drum brakes.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chuck, it may not be 1/2 the distance, but it is impressive as shown by the big rigs in the attached video:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...94&FORM=VRDGAR

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably right..... This is Titan's claim, of course they are trying to sell brakes, they only used the trailer brakes in the test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I don't think I cut stopping distance in half, but it makes a big difference in panic stops. I can smoke the trailer tires now
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I'm still on the drums but my friend has a Redwood with disc brakes and he's at 15K lbs. and brakes are sooo much better than mine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast