Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Rant on not using the search feature

Ok, so I guess I'm what you consider an a**hole with this rant, but I noticed that because Grand Design is a newer company, we have a lot of people coming on here and posting a new thread on a topic that has been asked many times before. I've been a paid member of this forum since Dec 2014 and I love seeing what others are doing and going, but...

Let me start with the Furrion Backup camera! If you do a search for "Furrion Camera" there is 49 threads that discuss this camera on multiple lines of units. Why do we have 49 threads on the same topic? Simple use of the search button will provide you with a wealth of knowledge on the topic you seek.

Another one is asking what someone is towing with, I understand this is a broad question, but maybe if one would use the search feature, they might find the answer they are looking for without needing to start a new thread on the same topic.

Another one is TPMS or even Tires. I get that we all don't trust the Chinese tires, but again if we did a little search on this forum, maybe your question can be answered without starting a new thread.

I love coming to this and other forums to get info on something I don't know an answer to, but I use a search feature to find my answer before I post a new topic. I like seeing people do mods to their units, or upgrade something, or even discuss a failure issue. I even like the new user introduction. I just wanted to rant about the lack of using a search to find an answer and flooding the "What's New?" feed with same info previously discussed.

Ok, rant over and ready for discussion on this as I know some will probably not agree with me.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there will be lots of opinions on this topic. Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit to see duplicate, triplicate or more-plicate posts on a topic. There are lots of new folks who join every day and want fresh ideas on a topic that may have been covered 18 months ago. Or maybe they did a search and didn't find what they wanted. Or it could be providing updates on a topic that has been covered before.

When I see a post on something that I'm not interested in, I usually won't read it and just move on. I don't think there is anything more disheartening to a new (or even existing) member than the response "That's already been covered, use your search button". It stymies discussion and marginalizes the poster.

Maybe a proper response to multiple posts on the same topic would be something along this line:

"Good morning - That's a great topic to discuss. Having been a forum member for quite some time, I remember that we went into quite a bit of depth on this subject many months ago. Here's a link to some great information that I was able to obtain with the forum's search feature:
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...light=Westlake"

As the experience base with the GD product evolves, there will be very few new topics that haven't been covered before. Fresh perspectives bring life to the forum. For example, I thought the topic of leaking axle seals had been resolved by GD/Lippert. I was amazed that this topic still comes up two years after multiple reports surfaced. Evidently, there has been no change.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Stephen, while I understand your frustration, I tend to agree with Jim on this and, quite honestly, they are a number of members who already respond very much like Jim describes. Rob (Rob&Cate) does this frequently.

My method of using this forum is that I always use the "New Post" tab and even if the thread is not one I'm following, I open it and close it to remove it from my New Post list.

As an old retired guy, life is just too short for me to get too worked up about this stuff but I'll add some support to your general rant by adding that I find more annoying when people don't read the post clearly or fully, before responding.

Such as when someone asks a question relating to their unit, for instance a question about tires on his(her) trailer which has 15" wheels and someone posts up that they have Goodyear G whatever tires and loves them, etc., when those tires won't even fit on that trailer! That annoys me all to heck.

For me, posting on these forums provides me with a sense of satisfaction from helping folks but it also gives me pride in my own accomplishments and finally, some opportunity to brag when I do something other people think is cool.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree totally with the helping part that this and other forums provide to so many people and that is not what my rant was about. I know that something my have been discussed a few months back, and things change. What gets me (and I'm not pissed about it, just an annoyance more then anything) is that things like the Furrion Camera, there was literally two different post about this topic, asking the same question within two days apart from each other. I know we are getting lots of new members, which is awesome. I just was looking for the rhyme and reason for the new post of the same topic. I'm like you Paul and Jim and not a fly by the night user. I have contributed to this forum as much as the next. I don't mean to piss anyone off, just wanted to vent.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Vent away buddy. We get it.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least this forum has FAR LESS offenders and offendees than some others out there. Hopefully we can keep it that way.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's not clogging up your hard drive who cares!! I don't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing that really burns my butt is

A 36" flame
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    The one thing that really burns my butt is
    A 36" flame
    LOL! I only get bothered by repeat questions when they appear 2 or 3 lines above the same question on the first page. I personally look at the first 2 or 3 pages to see if there is anything covering my topic prior to posting.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three quick reasons I can think of why this occurs;

1. Don't know how to do a search;
    2. The poster thinks that whatever issue he or she is having is unique;
    3. A symptom of today's "ME" generation. Don't care what others have said in previous similar topics, don't want to expend energy/effort in doing a search. Let me post my question for immediate feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast