Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crank out windows

We have a bit of an issue with our Momentums crank out windows. The little wheels on the end of the actuator arms have popped out of their tracks. i for the life of me can not get those little guys to stay put in the track. The wheels are squared off and quite literally fall out when we crank the windows open....

The real problem is they don't hold the window shut, much less only hold it open by propping to the inside glass surface.....they fall out before I can get the glass closed.

Anyone else have this issue and have a slick fix?
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB-CTD-DRW
    2016 Momentum 388M
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    1997 TJ Buggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet! I open and close them a lot. Give GD customer service a call and see if they can help - I suspect they'll have an idea what to do.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the wheel is broken.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me on one side of one window the first trip out. I cranked the window full open and took a Drexel tool and created a notch in the one track I had a problem with which allowed me to get the wheel back in the track. I just make sure never to fully open that window and it has worked fine for 1 1/2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a reoccurring issue with the garage windows popping out of the tracks. After several fixes I finally drilled out the rivets and replaced with small stainless bolts so the mechanism can be removed quickly. Now it is super quick to get the wheels back in the track when it happens. Rarely happens since the bolt fix and only when I crank the window out too fast or too far.

It's a wonky system but works fine on the larger slide out windows above the couch. Not sure why the smaller windows have so much more grief. Our garage windows rollers look more like square wheels from a Far Side comic so that may be part of the issue. Lubing the track with some dry lube also helped them from sticking and popping out.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the rollers is squared off, the other the lip is completely missing from the actuator on the garage window.

I spoke with Greg L at GD Customer Service, no repair parts are available, we will have to replace the entire window.
    The one GD dealer in Reno is a joke. The usual stuff, we are not a customer, therefore they give two shits about our problem... I'm going to have GD send us the replacement window, i'll swap the actuators out the same way that C&H Conner puts the wheels back in his. If this happens again, I'll make up some new wheels from some tougher material....
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB-CTD-DRW
    2016 Momentum 388M
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    1997 TJ Buggy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJTimmer View Post
    One of the rollers is squared off, the other the lip is completely missing from the actuator on the garage window.

I spoke with Greg L at GD Customer Service, no repair parts are available, we will have to replace the entire window.
    The one GD dealer in Reno is a joke. The usual stuff, we are not a customer, therefore they give two shits about our problem... I'm going to have GD send us the replacement window, i'll swap the actuators out the same way that C&H Conner puts the wheels back in his. If this happens again, I'll make up some new wheels from some tougher material....
    "The one GD dealer in Reno is a joke. The usual stuff, we are not a customer, therefore they give two shits about our problem..."
    Why is this place even a Grand Design Dealer?
    Maybe they should be pulled from selling GD.
    I am giving my dealer 1 more chance to see if they can do something right (Paul Everts in Coburg, Oregon).
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @orbiker - Good luck, brutha, but don't hold yer breath hoping for a miracle in Coburg. Those fools actually called last week and wondered if I wanted to "trade up". Said they would make me a helluva deal on the 380TH I bought there 9/15. Had to decline and told them I still walked with a bit of a limp from the last time they got ahold of me...

@RJ - let me know if you end up needing to fab up some rollers. I have some really tough poly material in storage that might work ducky. They use it for shims on green chains and we cut it down for boat rollers and slides for drift boats.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    "The one GD dealer in Reno is a joke. The usual stuff, we are not a customer, therefore they give two shits about our problem..."
    Why is this place even a Grand Design Dealer?
    Maybe they should be pulled from selling GD.
    I am giving my dealer 1 more chance to see if they can do something right (Paul Everts in Coburg, Oregon).

I gave up on Paul Everts in Fife. Their customer service is terrible, they only have one service person and really do not seem to care once you have bought your RV. It was to the point, when I walked in everyone of the management walked away. I only deal with GD rep now. their is another GD dealer in the Portland area, I will be taking a friend there when they buy theirs.
    Glenn and Paula Butler
    2015 Momentum 328M
    2012 Chevy 3500 Dually
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2Butler -

Check out Al's trailer in Salem. Good prices and fair to deal with and solid support after sale. Everyone I have talked to has had good experiences with them. I only wish we would of bought there rather than PE in Coburg.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast