User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camp Host worth it?

So my wife and I both work full time. We bought our Solitude with the plan to use it on the weekends. A state park we visit a lot approached us about becoming camp hosts for the summer. Going to talk to the head ranger tomorrow to see what's involved.

Anyway, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this? It's a campground we find ourselves at most weekends, so it's one we like. No sewer however. It would be a great way to drop our utilities to a lower rate during the hottest part of the year as well.

Any down sides we should consider? So far it's been great to get my stepson away from computers and television. I thought it would be a good way to dip our toes into full timing.

I work around 15 minutes away from the park (My normal commute is 55 minutes a direction) and my five works from home. We have unlimited data so working from anywhere isn't an issue.
    2015 Laramie 3500 MegaCab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
    Aisin | 4.10 | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
    2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1459/...75d6a83b_n.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what value you place on your time...evaluating the hours and duties required verses the cost of a free campsite. Some state parks I feel ask for a lot of hours hosting for a $25 per day site, but that's just me. I wouldn't like the fact that your time is scheduled and not what I want when camping.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    Depends on what value you place on your time...evaluating the hours and duties required verses the cost of a free campsite. Some state parks I feel ask for a lot of hours hosting for a $25 per day site, but that's just me. I wouldn't like the fact that your time is scheduled and not what I want when camping.

Dave
    True, I hadn't quite thought of that. At the moment we're still trying to nail down where everything goes, and exactly what we need. We've yet to make it one weekend without running home for something that was overlooked.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have been thinking about doing the camp host thing. We have talked to many camp hosts in Oregon State campgrounds and they love what they do.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a camp host. If you don't have to work too hard, it can be fun. It frees up money to do other things.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

j palmer cass
    Depends on the duties: I wouldn't clean johns and pick up trash and such just for a camping spot. It's a transaction--get your money's worth.

Jean & Marty
    My wife and I did hosting for a month at a Michigan State Park...Loved it, met a lot of good people from all over the US. You don't have to work real hard, mostly have to have the gift of gab be willing to answer a ton of questions and know the area.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have hosted at a state park in Pennsylvania for eight years during June, July, August, and October. We enjoy it very much and look forward to getting back to the park this coming summer. We have water and electric but no sewer, which is not much of a problem. Over the years we have developed some good relationships with campers, staff, and their families. Duties from park to park vary considerably. Our responsibilities include being available, answering questions, being a source for trail maps and hiking guides, picking up litter, and special projects like light trail maintenance on occasion. We occasionally take off for special family gatherings at home or pull the camper and go camping for a weekend with family and friends. We love it and it works for us but if you are looking for a cheap camping trip it will get old fast.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not really looking for a cheap camping trip. We're looking for a change of surroundings. We're also looking to become a bit more social. We tend to get bogged down with work at home. We're not looking for a second job however. After talking to the head ranger today, I'm wondering if it's something we want to do. The social aspect would be great, even restocking bathrooms with toilet paper wouldn't be out of the question. I know the area well (It's in the center of a triangle from where I work, the ORV park we go to a lot, and the largest town in the area).

They're also wanting people to collect money, possibly clean the three bathrooms (Wasn't clear on that one), and more or less be a park ranger. They're also asking for 29 hours a week. The 29 hours thing made me raise my eyebrows a bit.

They said they hadn't really had much luck finding hosts, I'm figuring out why I think lol

j palmer cass
    I volunteer with the NPS at the Castillo de San Marcos, the old Spanish built fort in St. Augustine. I talk to tourists about the fortifications, the history of fortifications and local history. I come and go as I please and get nothing in return save satisfaction (and a hat and an annual picnic and banquet). I was surprised when talking to NPS volunteers at Big Cypress in the Everglades that in return for a camping spot they have to put in so many hours a week (32 as I recall but I might be wrong) and do physical work. I think that's a raw deal. And I don't think volunteering should rob somebody of a paying job. Talking history or nature to people is one thing but cleaning toilets, gathering garbage, maintaining trails and such is another--people should be paid wages to do that. By paying for work with a campsite the park service in effect becomes a company town.