User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, So How Crazy Are We (how cold is too cold to keep the pipes from freezing)

So the wife and I are *really keen* on taking out the new 5th wheel this weekend. It's going to be so-so warm enough during the day, but Friday night it's supposed to be +17F for a low, and Saturday +23F. Highs will be upper 30's to upper 40's. We will have shore power to run the space heater (fireplace) and the furnace all night. My question is, will the furnace be able to keep the pipes from freezing in the sub-floor? The rig is still winterized at the moment, but was going to load water in the tank tomorrow afternoon. The campground has power, but no water, so we'll be on our own water source (dry camping).

Rig is a Reflection 318 RST, so no outside wet bar/kitchen. And it's rated "4 seasons" for whatever that's worth (yeah, I know).

So what do you think? Are we asking for trouble, or should we be ok? I'm sure we'll use a ton of propane. Right now both bottles are full (60 lb total).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coldest outside temps I've seen is 15. I use a small electric heater, the fireplace, and set the furnace to 60. Disconnect water line, turn tank heaters on, if you have them
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent th last two Christmas holidays dry camping in Castle Rock, CO. In 2014 we saw -20 degrees, and last year -6 degrees. The water system froze up to the point where no water could be added, and the effects of the cold and a defective Andersen valve were the factors that caused the fresh water tank to blow up when we finally connected to city water in Amarillo. I know it's a horror story you won't repeat, but be vigilant about noised that sound wrong. Compared to the temps we saw, yours won't be a big deal- and yes, use the furnace and the propane to keep the underside warm enough! It will be fun!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not believe we have tank heaters on the 318?

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately you are correct!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely have to rely on heat from the furnace to keep the tanks and piping from freezing.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have camped in temps as low as single digits. What I do is have furnace set to 60, fireplace on low or a little higher, but set to low when going to bed, have a trouble light hanging in water connection compartment with 75 or 100 Watt bulb (make sure it does not come into contact with anything), use internal water pump/fresh water tank as required for needs. Have gone as long as 4 days like this, temps never got above 20F. Water hose is disconnected and drained, have unlimited electricity. No problems. You should be fine.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We camp late into the fall every year and below freezing temps are common at night. I disconnect the hose and drain it, leave all the cabinet doors open to allow warm air to the pipes, and I have a short lamp that I put in the basement. It generates enough heat to prevent freezing pipes. As far as the water tank, there's lots of water in there and it's gonna take very low temps for quite a while to freeze it solid.

John
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we made it home intact, maiden voyage complete. We did freeze the water lines that feed the kitchen sink on the first night (dropped to 17F), but not the bathroom pipes. But it must have been just enough to stop the water flow out the faucet without actually rupturing anything. I had the furnace set to 70, but I had the space heater (fireplace) on high. I think that kept the furnace from coming on enough to keep the pipes warm. Next morning I cranked the furnace up to 74 and shut off the space heater. That did the trick by about mid day. Water flow was fine, and no leaks found. Next night I set the furnace back at 74 and left the space heater off. Pipes were fine, no hard or soft freeze.

We did burn a whole bunch of propane however, and I think the furnace ran more than it didn't...

Only problems found on the new rig were the kitchen drain seams to be weeping around the fitting that joins the pipe to the sink, and the cheap plastic drain plug they provide for the water heater tank plug had badly deformed threads in the way it was molded. Could barely get the plug to go in and stop leaking. Will have to get a replacement before we can go out again.