User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Options for keeping batteries charged while in storage?

I just picked up a new Reflection 27RL and found it won't fit into my driveway (old class C would fit) . The unit will be moved to an RV storage facility once all the snow melts - looking like late April at this point.

Since it will be stored at a RV storage location (fenced, security cameras, etc.) without access to power, I have been trying to figure out the best way to keep the batteries charged during the summer months between trips (batteries will be removed and stored at home during the winter).

Options:

1. The first option is a portable generator to be used in the event the batteries are discharged while at the storage facility. Obvious pros and cons with this solution.

2. Portable solar units plugged into the front solar port would be ideal but I am concerned about theft of the portable. Anyone use this solution?

3. Mount a solar panel on the roof. Would mounting a panel on the roof void the roof warranty? I have read that routing the solar wires down one of the vent stacks is the best way to achieve this. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your Reflection.

I would think if you simply disconnect the battery (batteries) cables completely, not just via the "DISCONNECT" switch, it should hold a charge for a month or more.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install an aftermarket disconnect switch in the battery positive. There are a number of areas that stay powered even with the factory disconnect off. I don't even bother with the OE switch anymore.
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kanatachris View Post
    Install an aftermarket disconnect switch in the battery positive. There are a number of areas that stay powered even with the factory disconnect off. I don't even bother with the OE switch anymore.
    As someone else suggested a while ago, you can also put this complete disconnect switch in the battery negative connection which might be an easier install since this is almost always a single cable and there may be multiple wires going to the battery positive.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weekend I had my 337 plugged in all weekend. Took it to storage and shut off the battery switch. When I went today to take it to the scales, the battery was totally dead, wouldn't even light one of the LED storage lights. Isn't the battery disconnect supposed to disconnect everything so the battery stays charged? I was going to call my dealer since I've only had it for two weeks. Do I really need to add another switch to keep the battery from draining totally?