Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bedroom slide light switch relocation

Who has done it and how. I read somewhere someone moved it to the porch light switch. But can't find it.
    2015 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 CTD Tradesman
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean the blue LEDs under the slide? If so, I don't recall anybody relocating it, but that would make a lot of sense to move it to where the rest of the switches are.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't done this . . . but it would be fairly easy. Power to the under slide lights is within the "plumbing basement". Power to the porch light (LED under the stairs) comes down through the curb side of this same area. Just find the wires going to the porch light and use this source to power the under slide lights. Or . . . you could add blue LED strips down both frame rails (off this same switch) which would look really cool. OK . . . OK . . . I admit that I have seen Scott's 337 where he has already done this .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Haven't done this . . . but it would be fairly easy. Power to the under slide lights is within the "plumbing basement". Power to the porch light (LED under the stairs) comes down through the curb side of this same area. Just find the wires going to the porch light and use this source to power the under slide lights. Or . . . you could add blue LED strips down both frame rails (off this same switch) which would look really cool. OK . . . OK . . . I admit that I have seen Scott's 337 where he has already done this .

Rob
    Not as easy as it may sound. There's 4 wires going into the switch for the bedroom slide lights. I don't wanna tale part away from something else by doing it. It's like something else is piggy backed off it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgbdbrwn View Post
    Not as easy as it may sound. There's 4 wires going into the switch for the bedroom slide lights. I don't wanna tale part away from something else by doing it. It's like something else is piggy backed off it.
    This may take a little investigation with a voltmeter . . .

There will be a ground wire (usually white) for the light in the switch.
    The wire to the LED lights will probably be orange and will most likely be on the centre terminal of the switch.
    The +12V (most likely the double wire to a single terminal) does likely feed something else and needs to keep doing this.

Once you have confirmed which is the wire to the LED lights, this is the wire that you need to connect to the porch light power wire.
    If you leave the water panel switch in place, the other two connections (+12V and ground) can remain where they are.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's exactly as you described Rob. I just tapped the wires from the slide lights into the porch light wire.

bgbdbrwn, what are you going to use the switch for? I used mine to power my backup camera.

Ben
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    It's exactly as you described Rob. I just tapped the wires from the slide lights into the porch light wire.

bgbdbrwn, what are you going to use the switch for? I used mine to power my backup camera.

Ben
    Ben! Your the one that did it lol. Nothing probably. Maybe for future use of something. Rob. On the back of my bedroom slide switch they are pink/white and white. Ben can you post pics or something pointing out which ones u pulled and what ypu tapped into? Thanks

Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben! Your the one that did it lol. Nothing probably. Maybe for future use of something. Rob. On the back of my bedroom slide switch they are pink/white and white. Ben can you post pics or something pointing out which ones u pulled and what ypu tapped into? Thanks

Kyle
    Hi Kyle. I didn't take pictures at the time and I don't plan to be doing work on the trailer till the weather gets better (it's cold and wet out). It's pretty straight forward, I followed the wires to determine what was what. The top wire on the switch was the ground for the switch light and the middle and bottom were 12V in and out. It's pretty easy to figure this out with a voltmeter. The white wire was always ground and the white with color stripe was always 12V. Then I just looked for the wire coming out from the porch step on the left side of the access area, it's behind the converter (I think I had to get a fair bit of my body in there to see it). I brought the wires together and spliced them, I may have had to extend the wire but I don't remember, it was last summer. Needless to say (but I'm gonna say it anyway), when your doing this you need to disconnect the battery. While I was in doing all this I thoroughly cleaned the basement (there was so much construction crap), blasted all the dirt out of the converter (and then cleaned up again ) and tied wires together and out of the way. Also, hand tighten all plumbing connections to the Kanleak valve. If you have a problem, post pictures.

Ben

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    Hi Kyle. I didn't take pictures at the time and I don't plan to be doing work on the trailer till the weather gets better (it's cold and wet out). It's pretty straight forward, I followed the wires to determine what was what. The top wire on the switch was the ground for the switch light and the middle and bottom were 12V in and out. It's pretty easy to figure this out with a voltmeter. The white wire was always ground and the white with color stripe was always 12V. Then I just looked for the wire coming out from the porch step on the left side of the access area, it's behind the converter (I think I had to get a fair bit of my body in there to see it). I brought the wires together and spliced them, I may have had to extend the wire but I don't remember, it was last summer. Needless to say (but I'm gonna say it anyway), when your doing this you need to disconnect the battery. While I was in doing all this I thoroughly cleaned the basement (there was so much construction crap), blasted all the dirt out of the converter (and then cleaned up again ) and tied wires together and out of the way. Also, hand tighten all plumbing connections to the Kanleak valve. If you have a problem, post pictures.

Ben
    Thanks Ben. I will look into it more when I get it out again. I can't open my road side storage area when it's in my carport. Sucks but at least it's covered. I had the wall down the other day when I de winterized and looked at it all just looked like a confusing mess of wires lol. I break out the volt meter or test light and further inspect it. And I did tighten all the plumbing connections while I was on there. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't open my road side storage area when it's in my carport.
    Can't get in from the curb side either?

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast