User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV tire care while in storage

We are new to this forum and also new to RVing, have completed 3 short trips since purchasing our new GD with only a few weeks between each trip. We're wondering if there is any concern regarding the trailer tires if we leave the RV stationary for say ... 6 months. Could the tires possibly get flat spots? We park the trailer on earth and are planning on putting down pine needles to soften the area a bit more the next time we take her out.

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic. The forum is massive and I didn't find this topic using the search feature.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 5th wheel sits for about 360 days each year. We cover the tires during this time but that's it. I don't think steel belted radials get flat spots. That happened to the old bias ply tires. Somebody who is more knowledgable can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I level mine when it is parked. It unloads my tires nicely...they still touch the ground but can't have very much weight on them, judging by the lack of any bulge and the fact that I can dress the whole tire easily. I use 303 on my tires and don't feel the need to cover them as they are not in direct sunlight anyway. Mine might sit for 30-45 days at a time at most. Hope this helps.

Editing this to say that I just saw you have a TT and if you do not have an auto-level system, what I said may not apply to you. Mine has GC 3.0 electric jacks.
    Last edited by Rapid1; 09-30-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: saw something
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the 303. It is one of the best things you can do for your tires. And apply to both sides. Second best thing, keep them covered.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to keep them from touching the ground. Not elevated, but something under them that does not conduct moisture. So, no wood. Maybe some plexiglas or plastic type leveling blocks just to keep them off the ground. I cut some plexiglass pads from one of those floor mats commonly used in offices and leave my car and golf carts on them in my garage when we leave for the season.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried everything on mine over the years, and nothing really seems to make a difference. Covered or uncovered (although I do try to park my trailers on the east side of buildings so they don't get the afternoon sun baking them). Heat kills mine in about 4 or 5 years no matter if they are on the ground or a spare mounted underneath the trailer. I've had plenty of "blowouts" while my trailers are just sitting on my property, including the spare mounted inside my enclosed car hauler. Opened the door one day and it had blown while mounted to the trailer wall.

My dad dismounts his and stores them in his garage when he isn't using his trailers. He's crazy. I'm not doing that.

Always pay attention to the tire manufacture date when buying tires. Don't buy tires that have been sitting around for months on end. I always buy from high volume tire shops (mostly Discount Tire and Costco) to avoid getting a "new" tire that's going to have a reduced service life because it's already old when I buy it.
    Last edited by Leon T; 10-07-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add tire age issue.