Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Installed Trailer Blocks Today - R/F new Tires

After following Poppy's disc brake thread, I decided to install trailer blocks like he did. I started the job about 10am this morning and finished up at 5pm. This included building the cribbing to put the jack stands under the frame. All in all, the job went very well, and there were no surprises. I'm ready to install the Goodyear G614 tires tomorrow and should have no clearance issues, even with the steel plate I installed in the fender wells. It should increase the height of my rig by a little over an inch to 12',11".

Here's how I did it:

1. Hitch up Truck
    2. Raise all Landing gear
    3. Jack up trailer by frame and install jack stands on both sides behind the rear axle.
    4. Drop all landing gear to provide additional support.
    5. Remove both rear tires.
    6. Make sure you have plenty of brake wire to work with. If needed, cut the wires and then reattach them later. I was able to pull several inches of brake wire out from the underbelly.
    7. Loosen the spring u-bolts on one side until the nuts are just about off, but don't completely remove them. Let the axle hang in the u-bolts.
    8. Place a floor jack under the opposite side of the axle, and remove the U-bolts.
    9. Lower the axle just far enough to insert the lift block.
    10. Jack the axle into place and position it with all the alignment pins are properly oriented.
    11. Install new U-bolts and tie plates and tighten until you have about 1/4" of play in the hardware.
    12. Take the floor jack to the opposite side of the axle and repeat steps 8-11.
    13. Snug all the new axle hardware and begin torqueing in 25 lb-ft steps until you have reached the specified torque (125 lb-ft).
    14. Install the tires and then move to the front axle and repeat the process.

Side View

Rear View

Steel Plate Installed In the Fender Wells

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow great job and love the black n whites.

Todd
    Todd & Wendy
    Blossom Valley Ca,
    2 King Charles Cavaliers
    Firesian & Quarter Horses
    2013 Ford F-350 Lifted
    2016 Reflection 303 w/reese goose box
    1932 Ford Cabriolet
    2013 BMW R1200GS
    2013 Dodge Yellow Jacket
    Still Working :cool:

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Todd,

BTW, forgot to mention the tools needed:
    1. Floor Jack
    2. Bottle Jack
    3. Jack Stands
    4. Torque Wrench capable of 125 Lb-ft
    5. Breaker Bar
    6. 7/8" deep socket
    7. Penetrating Oil (for the old bolts).
    8. Hammer to persuade the old U-bolts to budge.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

Thanks for the pictures and the detailed step-by-step. This mod is on my list for when we get home from Florida.

I am sure there are lots of US sources for spacers like this. The kind-of-funny part is that this was originally my idea. When Paul and I were exchanging ideas about how to level and raise the coach, I googled "spacer blocks" and my google.ca always picks up Canadian sites first. I am probably going to wander over and pick up my spacers in person (supplier is about 50 miles from my home) . . . just to explain to this guy, why folks from all over the US are ordering spacers of different heights .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim,

Thanks for the pictures and the detailed step-by-step. This mod is on my list for when we get home from Florida.

I am sure there are lots of US sources for spacers like this. The kind-of-funny part is that this was originally my idea. When Paul and I were exchanging ideas about how to level and raise the coach, I googled "spacer blocks" and my google.ca always picks up Canadian sites first. I am probably going to wander over and pick up my spacers in person (supplier is about 50 miles from my home) . . . just to explain to this guy, why folks from all over the US are ordering spacers of different heights .

Rob
    Rob - When Paul ordered them, the 1-1/2" size were a custom build. I contacted them to get an order placed, and they told me that they'd had so many orders of different heights, that they now include 1, 1-1/2, 2, 2-1/2 and 3 inch spacers as a standard item!

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question for you Jim, thr plate you added that is for protection in case of a blow out correct? And is it gauge material if so what gauge 16?
    Solitude 321RL
    '04 F250 6.0L
    Bulletproof oil cooler, 7.3l fan clutch,
    Ride Rite air bags,
    B&W Companion Hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iguana - I used 10ga stainless steel plate. It's probably overkill, but I don't want to have to rebuild the fender well again or have to replace the steel plate. I figure even if I get a bad blowout, all it will do is mark up the plate and not dent it. A less expensive option would be to use diamond plate.
    Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim,

Rob
    What thickness spacers do you plan to use on your 303RLS.......and are you doing it with the intention of replacing your 15" tires with 16"?

Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwallace View Post
    What thickness spacers do you plan to use on your 303RLS.......and are you doing it with the intention of replacing your 15" tires with 16"?

Thanks
    I am going to follow Jim (TucsonJim), 1 1/2" on street side, 1" on curb side. Unit leans to street side from factory. Always have to put 1 plastic block under street side, even when on level concrete pad.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwallace View Post

Thanks
    My plan is also 1 1/2" on street side and 1" on curb side to try and get closer to side-to-side level. If this gets the trailer high enough to tow level fore-aft, I may stay with 15". If not, I will have room to go to 16" to gain more ride height.
    I currently have about 5" clearance between overhang and TV box rails and the tail of the trailer is 2" below level.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast