User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical access above and below cabinets above couch on Reflection 303

My wife and I are excited about our purchase of a used 2015 Reflection 303RLS that looks like it came of the showroom floor. I suck at backing it down a long narrow drive between trees and my wife is getting a workout guiding.

I am installing a small 3MP wifi camera below the center marker light (no Furrion pre-installed mount) and I want to access the marker light 12v as well as the RV's 12v so I have options on powering the camera.

1. Can I access the space above and below the cabinets above the couch?
    2. How can I remove the recessed lights in front of the cabinets or who makes them?
    3. There is a screw at either end of the fascia for the space that has the recessed lights. Will removing them allow the fascia to be removed? See attached picture for approximate location of screws. (I removed one and nothing seemed to move)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303RLS Cabinet Electrical.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	4158

Thanks,
    Pat

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum . . . and particularly the 2015 303RLS subset .

I just checked those two screws that you pointed to . . . I don't know what they do, either.
    The lights in front of the cabinets are held in with spring clips . . . just pull them down.
    We have lights under the cabinets that you don't seem to have .
    But, there is probably still the 1" +/- space between the outer skin and the floor of the cabinets.
    Not sure how you would get at this space without being able to remove a light.

I will be interested in how you accomplish this project.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rear wall is laminated, so you won't be able to pull wires through as a run.

The easiest thing to do is just tie into the marker lights and then the camera will work when lights are on.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical access above and below cabinets above couch on Reflection 303

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Pat,

The lights in front of the cabinets are held in with spring clips . . . just pull them down.

I will be interested in how you accomplish this project.

Rob
    Hi Rob, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

I went out and looked and saw the spring clips, I didn't want to pull the light down to far initially and bend something.

I am thinking of creating a template and cutting an access hole inside the cabinet so I have a clean shape that I can fill back in with the original wood and some thin aluminum molding or wood so it looks like its meant to be that way. The trick will be to only cut the thickness of the wood so potential wires in the open space don't get damaged.

I will post some pic of whatever method I come up with.

Pat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi huntr,

Thanks for your input but I need both types of power. Let me explain.... (did yesterday on first post try but lost the data due to timeout)

I will actually install 3 cameras, Rear and side, and maybe a 4th.

I do technical consulting as a sideline and whenever I want to do something for myself, nobody makes it so I create my own solutions. I am building a package for my unit that will address a number of potential RV'ing issues.

1. Hi-resolutions cameras 2-3MP Wifi or POE (Power Over Ethernet). Resolution can be adjusted depending on how realtime the picture needs to be.
    2. Works on 9-18vdc
    3. Works on marker or RV power. Marker for traveling, RV power when disconnected
    4. Acts as a security system (not required but it may be for others)
    5. View-able by smartphone, tablet or PC.
    6. Potentially view-able any where in the world. (Depends on RV park access point)
    7. Directional Access-Point antenna to pick up weak RV park AP signals. 600-1000ft
    8. If no park Access-Point I will have my own network System could connect to my Smartphone or Table acting as as AP so I can have network anywhere (if I have a phone data signal)
    9. When connected to AP I will have my own sub-net (SSID) behind my own fire wall so I will be secure and not sharing with everyone else in the park.
    10. Possible a way for me to subsidies my travels as a product.
    11. Reasonably low cost

I have all the stuff, it works in my house and laying around in the RV. Now I just need to get it installed.

Pat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results: Electrical access above and below cabinets above couch on Reflection 303

Finally getting a chance to post some results of accessing power and routing wires from inside my cabinets above couch on my Reflection 303RLS for my backup/security cam.

After a lot of thought I decided to cut an access hole inside the cabinet on the right hand side (looking at the cabinets from inside the trailer)
    What this does is get you access to roof cap area above the cabinet, access to the wires and the hole where the wires are routed to the light switch below the cabinet as well as a location to route wires from the marker lights. Because you now have access to the roof cap area, i suspect you could run wires to the other side of the trailer.

Note: The Line numbers reference picture numbers in this album.
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...php?albumid=50

1) Created a 4"x10" saw guide template and attached to roof a cabinet.
    2) Used an oscillating type saw to make the cut being careful to just cut through the wood and not nick the wires. The oscillating saw minimizes cutting any wires that may be encountered.
    3) Used a fine tooth hacksaw blade to finish corner cuts
    4) Access hole
    5) Hole for routing wires to switch at bottom of cabinet
    6) Switch hole at bottom of cabinet and wire routing hole to upper part of cabinet (GD did a horrible job of cutting the switch hole, switch was only help in with one screw. Also they drilled through cabinet frame and a staple was sticking up with the wires going over it, potential fire hazard)
    7 a&b) Drilled hole at center of drivers side marker light to route wires inside access hole
    8) Hole inside access hole from drivers side marker light
    9) Used stud finder to locate center line of vertical aluminum for drilling hole for camera wire . Removed center marker light and drilled hole from horizontal aluminum to vertical aluminum to route camera wire (No Pic). Start with a very small drill and work your way up, drill want to walk because its at an angle. NOTE: The horizontal aluminum is used as a conduit to route wires to drivers side marker light and hole to inside access hole.
    10) Camera Mounted
    11) Access hole closed up. Unfortunately the molding I used didn't want to take a stain so looks like a redo on it.
    12) Actual snapshot from the backup cam

I also replace the single switch at the bottom of the cabinet with a triple switch. One for the light, one double pole to power equipment from trailer power or Marker light power, and another to turn camera on or off.

Results:
    3MP backup cam/security cam with motion detection, storage and much more/network cam(cam can be accessed anywhere in the world when it is connected to an access point)
    Private network
    Long range access point access

Side cams when I have some time.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saw Guide Template.jpg  
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS