Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 303 Door Fix?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303 Door Fix?

What would be the likely fix for the door scraping in the jam? Hinges are tight-no slop. Anytime the sun hits the door, it jams in the corner. It's been doing this for a couple of months. Dealer says not uncommon. If it is just a matter of grinding the corner, I may save a trip to service.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	4240
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith, I hope you get an answer from GD. But if not, here is what I would do (I avoid dealer repairs at all cost, don't trust them not to mess up other stuff while trying to fix something simple) I would "oval" the hinge holes upward a bit to allow the door to drop slightly to give enough clearance. If the rub is more on the side, a lot of times the hinges can be slightly bent to allow the door to close more to the other edge. Hope that made sense.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    What would be the likely fix for the door scraping in the jam? Hinges are tight-no slop. Anytime the sun hits the door, it jams in the corner. It's been doing this for a couple of months. Dealer says not uncommon. If it is just a matter of grinding the corner, I may save a trip to service.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	4240
    Hi @KeithS,

If you have not, you may want to check out the FAQs on Lippert's online support page for their entry doors - here is a link to their website: https://www.lci1.com/support-entry-doors. After reviewing their information - and BEFORE you make any changes to your RV entry door - I would highly encourage you to contact Lippert Customer Service at (574) 535-1125, Grand Design Customer Support at (574) 825-9679 direct, or your RV dealer for additional guidance and assistance. Hope this helps and Happy Camping!

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Last edited by GDRV Service; 04-15-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our door on our 303 was replaced under warranty by the dealer due to the door being bowed. You had to slam the door really hard to get it to latch and it seemed that weather was a big factor on how it fit. If it was cold, it was almost impossible to latch. The new door came as a complete kit including the screen door. I am very happy with the finished product including the new decals applied to the new door by our local service department. One would never know it wasn't installed by the factory.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new 303 had a similar problem, the top corner of the door was dragging on the drip molding. After I got it home and leveled up I took a short piece of 2x2 and a 2# hammer and slightly adjusted the molding so that it clears the door when it closes. I'm sure it's not an approved fix, but it works for me.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    Our new 303 had a similar problem, the top corner of the door was dragging on the drip molding. After I got it home and leveled up I took a short piece of 2x2 and a 2# hammer and slightly adjusted the molding so that it clears the door when it closes. I'm sure it's not an approved fix, but it works for me.
    Now that, just might be worth trying. The above post from GD Customer Service is worth a look. I did not know that GD's doors were made by Lippert. The FAQ section on door camber made sense but that is not my problem. The door camber (bending) seems fine, it is that top corner that is not playing well with the molding. It is scraping metal off of the molding and the door.

When I had the RV in for an inspection of a wheel seal leakage, I mentioned this to the service writer. They have seen this before, but that would have required another trip for repair. That and their remark on my Furion issue, that it would just be a replacement of the same deficit system leads me to look for alternatives. Thanks for the replies.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Left The Driveway kool.katitude's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our back door on our Momentum 385 had the same issue with bowing. When we were staying ar KOA last summer, a Cullim & Maxey service tech came to our RV when I'd locked myself out (due to a broken potmetal piece) and I mentioned the garage door issue. He somehow 'back-bowed' it and it's better than it was but not perfect. We rarely use that door because the locking mechanism is flimsy plastic. May be a future fix and stronger lock replacement.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway kool.katitude's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Cullum & Maxey...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dennis and Carolyn, we had the same problem with the door on our 2600RB before we purchased it. During PDI, the tech moved the strike plate out as far as it will go, and now it latches OK now, but if the trailer sits for days it "unlatches itself" The camber (bow) in the door is just within spec at 1/4". GD service did not offer to replace the door, instead wants me to use a 2X4 to wedge in the door and push to increase the camber in the door. Either that or install washers behind the strike plate. Not terribly excited by either alternative.

So, how bowed was the faulty door? The replacement?

See my recent post on this at http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...or-latch-issue

Thanks,
    David
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.7L V8
    CURT 14,000 lb. Round Bar WDH/sway bar
    Air Lift RideCONTROL air springs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,
    I'm not sure of measurements, but it was enough that adjusting the strike plate wasn't enough to correct it.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019