User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Brewbadger

Odor from Black Tank

Okay, I have got an odor coming out of the black tank every time I flush the toilet. This happens pretty quick after dumping the black tank and back flushing. This is the 4th rv and I have never had this issue so bad and usually only when the black tank needed to be dumped. Not looking forward to summer as this usually enhances the odor. I put plenty of chemicals and load the system with water as I have with the other rv's, but the smell starts back pretty quick, like in a day or most two. I went to the roof to check the vent valve but it was fine. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you mixing chemicals? I use Happy Camper, I usually add another spoon full after a few days in hot weather
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May want to make sure the vent on the roof is not clogged or damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you by chance have an exhaust fan or fantastic fan on? That will pull the stink right out of the tank. The other thought is that if the vent pipe is too far into the tank, but you would have other symptoms...burping.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the fan running. A buddy of mine was almost knocked out from the smell with the fan on.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewbadger View Post
    Okay, I have got an odor coming out of the black tank every time I flush the toilet. This happens pretty quick after dumping the black tank and back flushing. This is the 4th rv and I have never had this issue so bad and usually only when the black tank needed to be dumped. Not looking forward to summer as this usually enhances the odor. I put plenty of chemicals and load the system with water as I have with the other rv's, but the smell starts back pretty quick, like in a day or most two. I went to the roof to check the vent valve but it was fine. Any ideas?
    Is the smell coming from the toilet while open or are you getting the smell from somewhere else?

If not from the toilet it may be coming from the Black Tank washer vacuum breaker/check valve in the cabinet next to the shower behind a panel. If the check valve is stuck open and/or the valve is stuck open you may be getting a venting back flow when flushing the toilet.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Brewbadger
    The smell comes out when ever the toilet is cracked open. The vent on the roof looks clear, and there hasn't been any issues that I am aware of.
    It does seem that when draining there might be a burping effect. Doesn't run out like most rv's I have had. Also no vents open to create vacuum when flushing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother-in-law had the same problem. On his, it turned out to be that the vent pipe was too far into the black tank. When he flushed, there was nowhere for the displaced air to go, but back up through the toilet. Sometimes it would burp, but most often not. The dealer had him fixed up inside of a week and all is well now. Maybe that's your issue too.
    Next time you do a dump, note the flow and then have someone open the toilet valve. That will let air into the tank. If the outflow increases dramatically, then that's it.

John
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Brewbadger
    I traded for the new 399.. but after looking at the vent on the 399 compared to the 380, it was indeed low. The pipe was lower that the roof and didn't engage the vent. On the 399, the pipe sticks out and the vent slides down on the pipe which creates a venture effect whisking away the foul odor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Happy Camper in our black tank too. We have never smelled anything coming out of the toilet valve when open, even with the fan on.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)