User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    L&L Jackson

Plastic, wood-look, thin veneer doors, shelves, trim and cabinet boxes...

The application of very thin, plastic veneer mars easily on the edge of doors, shelves and cabinets boxes, it is not one of my favorite things about the Grand Design, although I love our rig in many other regards. The veneer is easily damaged or lifted, no matter how careful you are and, ultimately, the edges begin to look shabby. I admit to being a tad fastidious about the care and maintenance of our rig with that said, does anyone have a suggestion for protecting the edges of the veneered parts?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On places that don't have a door or drawer (such as a couple of the shelves in the bathroom of our Reflection 337), I have used a clear plastic 90 "molding" that sticks on with clear 3M adhesive. I did this to protect the veneer on a multimedia desk where my desk chair was prone to catch it. I agree, however, that wood doors and drawer fronts on thin plastic laminate frames is not up to the par that I expected from Grand Design. I have two different shades of stain markers (dark and medium for the two wood tones in the RV) to touch up those place that start showing through.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

L&L Jackson
    Thanks Rob, good tip on the 3M molding... we've got the different stain markers and I've recently touched up the pantry door (showing the most wear). I'm interested to see how long it lasts. I am surprised at how thin the laminate is - it tears like paper - and yeah, if it cost a little more I'd happily pay for real wood or better veneer.

Louise aka Sparkles LaRue