Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rota Flex Pad Coming Out!?

This is the second time that my Rota Flex pad has slipped out of my kingpin box assembly, had anyone else experienced this issue? It's a real PITA to take apart and reposition it after a 800-1600 mile trip!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rota Flex pad coming out.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	4336
    Karsten, Heather, Isaiah and Jill
    2016 385TH
    2015 Ram Longhorn Mega Cab 3500 4X4 CTD, Aisin, DRW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! If that is the angle your hitch plate is sitting at it looks like it is trying to squirt it out. Hitch should be much flatter.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Yikes! If that is the angle your hitch plate is sitting at it looks like it is trying to squirt it out. Hitch should be much flatter.
    I know! After ~800 miles of driving it starts squeezing out the back.
    2016 385TH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does ride at such angle?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Why does ride at such angle?
    It's like that due to the hard rubber pad squeezing/sliding out the back of the assembly. I had to get the serial # for Lippert so I decided to take it apart and put it put it back together correctly for travel for warranty work and will post more pictures when I get to my computer.
    2016 385TH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looks to me like even if the rubber was were it is supposed to be, and accounting for the angle change, it would still have a significant angle.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I looks to me like even if the rubber was were it is supposed to be, and accounting for the angle change, it would still have a significant angle.
    It's pretty level when the pad is in there correctly.

I contacted Lippert this morning and they got back to my website "contact us" inquiry within 5 minutes...I was very surprised. They asked for the serial # so I decided to go to storage and take some more photos and take it all apart and reposition the pad correctly for taking it in for warranty work. This was my second time taking it apart and I'm getting pretty good at it, took about 10 minutes with photos and all.

You are able to see there is about a 1/4" tall by 5" square welded into the top of the kingpin plate and the pad has a 1/4" by ~2.5" square recess in it.

Name:	top view of pad and base together 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	4337

The recessed hole that is in the rubber pad is slightly smaller than the ~2.5" round weld for the kingpin.

Name:	top view of pad and base together.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	4338

In the 10 minutes it has taken me to type this, Lippert has already responded and approved my warranty claim and is sending my dealer a new pinbox, I'm impressed!
    2016 385TH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear... I'll have to take a closer look at mine just to be sure, but no "slippage" yet that I have seen.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the same problem with mine after pulling 1100 miles. Will it hurt pulling like this? We are on vacation an I am worried about pulling it. It looks just like Kar's pic"s in the above photos rubber pad hanging out the back an the head tilted as above
    2014 355th Momentum 2015 GMC Denali Duramax DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick 641 View Post
    Having the same problem with mine after pulling 1100 miles. Will it hurt pulling like this? We are on vacation an I am worried about pulling it. It looks just like Kar's pic"s in the above photos rubber pad hanging out the back an the head tilted as above
    It is bad to ride with it like that as it allows the kingpin plate to rock back and forth which puts a tremendous amount of strain on the hitch and kingpin. It's not hard to take apart and put it back in place. I simply used a 2x4 that was about 48" long to lower the kingpin plate on to slightly to compress the rubber pad to allow the plate pin to be removed. Raise the trailer slightly then reposition the pad and reassemble, lower the trailer a little onto the 2x4 again to compress it enough to reassemble. It will come out again. When you have it apart, take pictures of everything to include the serial number off the pinbox assembly. Go onto Lippert's contact us website page and let them know you're having this issue.

I was seriously surprised how quickly they got back to me (during regular business hours)! I'm sure your pinbox is the same as mine was. Does your pad look like this?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	4436
    Where the pad isn't completely flat on the top and bottom? If so then you too have the wrong pad installed in your Pinbox. My new pinbox's rubber pad is completely flat on the top and bottom.

From the day I submitted everything to Lippert, 6 days latter my pinbox was here. Needless to say I am very pleased with there prompt customer service and no questions asked warranty backing!
    2016 385TH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast