Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max pressure for 15" wheels on a Reflection

My Reflection is an early 2014 with the 15" wheels (bummed) and while I'd like to go with 16's that won't happen soon. I am looking at new 15" tires for this year, and noticed that Carlisle has a new HD 15" that is 85 MPH & PSI rated (an E rating). I'm currently running D's with max pressure at 65 lbs. The rims are likely stamped on the interior with the max pressure allowed.....don't want to break one down unless I have to before choosing a tire.

SO....does anyone know for certain that my 15" factory rims will or will not support that E rated tire & it's call for 85 PSI? Thanks in advance for the assist.
    Bob & Becky
    Catalina, AZ
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LT 4x4 LB CC 6.6L Duramax / Allison
    B&W Companion
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #38

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to say that they are good for 110 psi but to be sure you might want to contact Grand Design directly and ask them. Have your VIN number ready when you call or text. That way they can confirm the pressure for the exact wheel that's on YOUR rig.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob--you do have one of the first 303's made.....hope it has been good to you all. Our early build also has the D 65psi 15" tires but not too long after (a few months maybe) the 303s started having E 80psi 15" tires.

This link to Lionshead wheels and tires only shows one 15" tire 6 bolt wheel so one could conclude (at least today anyway) that our wheels are the same as those with "E" tires/80psi http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/Lynx-Aluminum-Wheel

I am thinking like you at some point, to upgrade to E tires rather than D. Getting direct feedback from GDRV and maybe even Lionshead seems the right thing as Jim alludes to. I do not recall any definitive answer to this PSI question for the 15" wheels being answered here on the forum.......but if so hopefully someone will chime in.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In looking at the link provided to Lionshead, if that is indeed the same wheel then it is rated to handle 2830 lbs. That is the same max capacity of a 225/75R15 LR E trailer tire. So my assumption based on this is that you should be ok. However I would definitely look at the wheel once dismounted to ensure that it clearly states that it can handle the load.

I would also if you don't have bolt in stems update those to handle the increase in pressure.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,

This is the rating cast into the back of my 15" wheels that came with E rated 80 psi tires. This would be easy for you to check without dismounting a tire. From other discussions on this forum, there is not likely to be any additional info stamped inside the rim.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02346.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Bob,

This is the rating cast into the back of my 15" wheels that came with E rated 80 psi tires. This would be easy for you to check without dismounting a tire. From other discussions on this forum, there is not likely to be any additional info stamped inside the rim.

Rob
    That's exactly the information what you are looking for. (Don't assume, but make sure to double check)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,
    Once again you guys rock! Always quick and honest with the answers.....can't thank you enough. Good link re: the rims, thanks; Yup, I'll go with bolt-in valve stems; I'll pull one rim and check the back for that "MAX LBS" stamping. I thought the rims should handle the next level up but wanted what you all provided before I reserve the tires at the shop.....save everyone some time.

Early on (prior to GD deciding they'd up-grade to 16" inch rims/tires on the Reflections) I was in contact with a rep at the factory about upgrading to 16" wheels / tires. He advised there wasn't enough clearance for that.......and he suggested (with accompanying diagrams) to take the unit to a frame shop and have them weld on some 2" stock on the frame bottom, then reattach the axles with new 16" tires/rims. Expensive and worrisome for me. Alignment concerns mostly--hate to be in mid-America on a trip and discover unusual wear....you guys get the idea.

SO....I've got over 2 years and 20,000 miles on these original Westlake 15's. Despite them showing no major wear or issues I had decided that whether E's or D's, I'm getting new tires before our next trip (>100 days / 5,500 miles); and will do so at least every 2-3 years considering our travel plans over the next 4-5 years. I am meticulous about keeping pressure on these 15's to 65 PSI and checking them carefully every time I stop for gas. And I'm very happy to continue to travel in the right lane at 65 .... MAX. Hey I'm retired......no hard schedule and I pull over and wave them around if I'm blocking someone.

We love our 303! The only downer has been the tire/rim size. The E's, regardless of who makes them, would help ease my concerns a bit.

Again....thanks !!!!!
    Bob & Becky
    Catalina, AZ
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LT 4x4 LB CC 6.6L Duramax / Allison
    B&W Companion
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #38

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the advantages of going with 16 inch tires. I have a 2015 303 with 15's on them. I like the idea of a little more clearance. I am also considering on adding some self leveling jacks as well. I have reviewed the new 2018 303's that come with 16's on them. I love the "beefiness" of the 16's. Would like to have that on my 2015 303.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a 2015 you may not have the clearance to go to 16" tires. You'll need to check to see if the 2" subframe was added. I know on our 2015 it was not. Later builds did have the subframe added.