Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time out, first challenge

Just picked up our new Reflection 318 this past Saturday. Went through the PDI/Orientation. Not as much detail as I would have liked but they went through all the features. I was most interested in getting as much detail instruction on hooking up and unhooking from the truck. The tech did advise that when dropping the landing gear to unhook, I should lower the front jacks about 6 to 7 inches before dropping the manual jacks to the ground. It was explained this would help the auto leveling system worked the way it is supposed to. By the way we are newbies and this is our first 5th wheel. We decided to stay at a local RV park that is close to the beach and dealership, over the weekend to get a feel for the trailer and make note of any warrantee issues as well as make sure that all vital components worked properly before driving 4 hours home. First challenge came when our site at the park even though is was a pull through (relief) it had some what of a slope at the front. The nice park host who helped me find my spot was also kind enough to help setting up. He suggested I should put blocks under the front jacks to make up for the slope in the site. Of course being a newbie I did not think to bring blocks, I figured with the auto leveling system I wouldn't need them. I unhooked the trailer successfully and proceed to start the auto level feature. it started doing its thing and when it stopped I heard a beep and there on the control box was an error message "auto leveling failed". Now what, we didn't cover this in the orientation. The host suggested to use the manual mode and adjust that way. The control indicated the left side was the issue so I attempted to adjust manually. Fortunately it was not to far off about less that half bubble. I called the dealership and explained what was happening and asked what are my options, they asked how far off I was and when I told them they said I should be okay. They also suggested that because I used the blocks that it could have caused error to occur. Has anyone experienced this and could placing the blocks have caused the error? Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using blocks will not cause an error. As suggested, the blocks can and should be used if there is a chance you will run out of stroke in the legs. My guess is the error was from not having enough stroke to complete the leveling process.

One caveat to using blocks, if on the front jacks, IF you use blocks and they are too tall for the front to "kneel" enough to begin the leveling process it may error because it can't start properly.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use blocks frequently when front or rear is high. I've never had a problem
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thank you for replying. I've been inquiring about this error and I've gotten a few possible reasons. Too tall of a block came up as you suggested. Also, someone mentioned that the trailer needs to be above level in the front in order for the auto level to work properly. Is this correct? This may have been the cause. When I unhooked the truck the front was still lower than the rear of the trailer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did read that the front needs to be above level. When I first did mine I got an error because battery wasn't charged enough. Guy at GD told me to try to use truck power or shore power for leveling. I also talked to Lippert, and was told to manually drop landing gear to 4"-5" off ground then use the auto"drop front jacks". It all worked for me next time I tried in driveway. GD also said to try to level side to side with leveling blocks. This is my first fiver and auto level experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the YouTube video from Lippert, the only thing that won't work if you start below level is the auto rehitch level feature.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgutierrez View Post
    First thank you for replying. I've been inquiring about this error and I've gotten a few possible reasons. Too tall of a block came up as you suggested. Also, someone mentioned that the trailer needs to be above level in the front in order for the auto level to work properly. Is this correct? This may have been the cause. When I unhooked the truck the front was still lower than the rear of the trailer.
    I believe the first move to find level is always down so if it is too low it will have trouble finding its starting point.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up our new Reflection 27RL on Wednesday and had a similar problem. I unhooked from the truck, with the front of the trailer higher than the rear and pressed Auto Level. The front jacks lowered as far as they would go. The readout flashed Leveling Front until changing to Leveling Failed. I used the Manual function to level the trailer. The next morning I watched the DVD and read the book and searched the internet. The result was a comment which said that if the dealer did not do a "Zero Calibration" the system does not know what "Level" is!!
    The Lippert book has a "Zero Calibration Procedure" and after completing the procedure my system works great!
    Charlie & Jenny

Cooper - Standard Poodle
    Baron - Standard Poodle, Gone but not forgotten
    2016 Reflection 27RL, Steady Fast Stabilizer
    2015 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab Duramax/Allison
    Andersen Ultimate Rail Mount

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charliem View Post
    I picked up our new Reflection 27RL on Wednesday and had a similar problem. I unhooked from the truck, with the front of the trailer higher than the rear and pressed Auto Level. The front jacks lowered as far as they would go. The readout flashed Leveling Front until changing to Leveling Failed. I used the Manual function to level the trailer. The next morning I watched the DVD and read the book and searched the internet. The result was a comment which said that if the dealer did not do a "Zero Calibration" the system does not know what "Level" is!!
    The Lippert book has a "Zero Calibration Procedure" and after completing the procedure my system works great!
    Thank you, I'll have to try this. Unfortunately, we had a couple of other issues that needed to be taken care sooner rather than later so we took it back to dealer the following Monday so we haven't had a chance to take it out again since the initial trip. But I am definitely going to bring this up when we finally get to bring it home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Good luck getting it back soon.
    Charlie & Jenny

Cooper - Standard Poodle
    Baron - Standard Poodle, Gone but not forgotten
    2016 Reflection 27RL, Steady Fast Stabilizer
    2015 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab Duramax/Allison
    Andersen Ultimate Rail Mount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast