Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furion Back up Camera disconnect switch

We just installed a Furion Observation camera in our 2015 Monentum. The only issue with the factory installed case is there is no way to switch off the camera when not in use. After two email contacts and one phone call, I was left on my own to find the wiring for the camera case. I was pretty much told there wasn't anything GD could help with other than to confirm there was no factory installed switch which Furion recommended if hard wired to the battery. I did locate the correct wire located under the black cover for the terminal block by the battery. Disconnecting one wire at a time I found a red wire with an in-line fuse, also under the screwed down cover, which did turn off the camera.
    We do love our Monentum Toy Hauler, but very disappointed in GD's inability to give some direction as to the solution and also cheaping out by not following Furion's recommendation for a shut off switch. The service team member I spoke with indicated I was the second person in a week to ask for help with this situation. We hope to enjoy our RV for years to come as it will be our only home for the next few years. Full time here we come starting July 1st.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. You have found what many of us have already dealt with. There are several threads around here somewhere that discuss many different options for what to do or not to do. Search "furion observation" and you should find several.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response JCR GD! I will be checking for more information from fellow Momentum owners!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a Garmin RV GPS that comes with a wireless backup camera. I figured I would try this 2 in 1 solution for the same money that the furrion camera would cost. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a 3MP wireless security cam as my backup cam as well as a network, I put in switches in that can turn setup off, power by running lights or trailer power as well as cam on/off . May be more than you want to get into but here is what I wrote up and pics. on how to route wire and access power if you are interested.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...Reflection-303

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8E&FORM=VRDGAR

Video on how to install a switch.

Gurnbb
    I have seen many posts here referencing different solutions for the camera power, but none specifically for the Imagine 2800BH. What I did learn is that the ceiling can be accessed by simply removing some of the trim pieces on the ceiling devices. With that in mind and my desire to not make the camera power dependent upon the running lights, I started digging in to find a suitable location to put a remote power switch.

I eventually ended up using the OEM vent fan switch in the bathroom. Since the wall mounted switch plate already toggled the ceiling vent fan, then the small switch typical on the vent assembly became redundant. So this was my target.

It was very simple. I removed the shower skylight ceiling trim and the vent fan ceiling trim to expose my wiring path through the rafters. The original hole drilled outside for the camera power was angled up which forced the new cable in the wrong direction. So I had to widen the hole with a similarly sized drill bit to angle the hole to the left (towards the bath). This was tricky as I had to ensure not to nick the existing camera power cable. Then I was able to fish a wire from the exterior to the bath skylight. From there the wire was easily navigated to the ceiling vent.

On the original switch mounted to the vent fan, I pulled the existing wires off and tied them together, essentially taking the switch out of the fan power loop. Then I used the same switch to toggle my camera power.

Eventually I wanted to bring the camera power to the main interior control panel, just to make it fancy, but since the vent switch works so well, I may not bother.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gurnbb. Your tips helped me.

In my Imagine 2800BH I found the red and white wire running from the back up camera near the skylight and then with a hanger I was able to fish the wire to the vent opening with the trim pieces removed. I cut the wire near the vent and then cut a whole in plastic trim and added a swithc vs using the existing switch as you did on the fan. Pretty easy provided you get the right switch. Had the wrong type and blew a few fuses. Don't use a single pole switch!!!! Duh!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzinsd View Post
    Thanks Gurnbb. Your tips helped me.

In my Imagine 2800BH I found the red and white wire running from the back up camera near the skylight and then with a hanger I was able to fish the wire to the vent opening with the trim pieces removed. I cut the wire near the vent and then cut a whole in plastic trim and added a swithc vs using the existing switch as you did on the fan. Pretty easy provided you get the right switch. Had the wrong type and blew a few fuses. Don't use a single pole switch!!!! Duh!
    Any pictures? I pick up my 2800BH on Saturday.

Greg
    '12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    Previous ’98 Coleman Mesa
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A number of people have wired the camera to one of the rear clearance lights. That way when you're on the road and have your lights on the camera comes on and goes off when when you turn the lights off. Probably the simplest solution for ease of modification and use.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast