User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Chinadolle

What size campsite for a fully opened up 366DEN?

Can anyone help me with this question?
    What size area campsite will I need for a 366DEN with the slides out and outdoor kitchen open?
    Also, any 366DEN owners how well do you like that model?

I didn't get a chance to measure it the other day on the lot. They had the models really packed in there and it was pouring rain.
    I know I was looking at the 377MBR, but somehow I missed the 366DEN when I first started looking.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you located a Solitude 366DEN as they are no longer produced and any units will be at the dealers. GDRV Customer Support (574-825-9679) can help to locate a unit if you haven't found one.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Chinadolle
    I found a few at various dealers. There are a couple in proximity to me right now. The models on the lot were parked very close, so they couldn't open it all the way out for me to measure in the pouring rain the other day. So I was wondering if anyone already knew how much room it requires on a campsite with everything opened. Thanks for the info though.

I forgot, FYI - There are about 15 of the 366DEN's still for sale on RVtrader, if anyone else wants to buy one before they are all scooped up.
    Last edited by Chinadolle; 05-07-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add comment

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinadolle View Post
    Can anyone help me with this question?
    What size area campsite will I need for a 366DEN with the slides out and outdoor kitchen open?
    Also, any 366DEN owners how well do you like that model?

I didn't get a chance to measure it the other day on the lot. They had the models really packed in there and it was pouring rain.
    I know I was looking at the 377MBR, but somehow I missed the 366DEN when I first started looking.

Thanks!

Elizabeth
    The 366DEN and most of the 5er's are 40 or so feet long. There are a little over 8 ft wide and the front awning is about 10 ft long. The slides on the back side are around 2 ft deep.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Chinadolle
    Thank you orbiker. I appreciate that info. I just couldn't gauge the depth of the slides and other things that stick out from it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 365DEN is a bit over 43 feet long, it's a beast in that respect. The back slides aren't very large at all, the largest slide would be the door side living slide. It sticks out a good 6-8" further than the den slide. I've managed to squeeze it into some pretty small spots. So long as the jacks are on solid ground I'm happy with it.

We didn't like the 366, however found a 365 at an amazing price. I can't help with the outside kitchen, however I would assume it would add two and a half to three feet to the slide out. Everything else is comparable. My only complaint would be the small (45 gallon) gray tank. The kitchen gives us everything we need with enough room for everything, so long as you don't need everything at the same time. We're still finding new places to stash things as well. The storage in the kitchen and around the TV is great.

I really liked the MB, however I really like having the second bathroom. The loft would have also been wasted space for us.

Best shots I have of the slides.

2015 Laramie 3500 MegaCab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
    Aisin | 4.10 | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
    2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1459/...75d6a83b_n.jpg

Chinadolle
    Namlehse - thanks so much for the photos! Very nice photos. The photo from the front of the truck really gives a good idea of campsite space sprawl. It will just be myself and my little one, so the loft will be storage for tubs of toys most likely. I thought the tanks were a bit on the small side too for extended living type RVs.
    Love the truck too! I'm having a hard time finding one with a 4.10 without the additional cost of ordering one. Thanks again!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, I was only finding 4.10's when I looked. It's worth it though, I'm really happy with the 4.10's performance towing and not towing. I use it as my daily driver, commuting 88 miles a day round trip. I picked my truck up in Canton Georgia (from Oklahoma) to get more or less exactly what I wanted. It took a few months of looking, but I found it.

In the picture you mentioned, I'm just a few feet from a tree and the power too actually. The spot was LONG, however very narrow. I mostly use my awnings for light, they don't do much for sun unless it's directly overhead or behind the RV. The lack of a tilt doesn't make them ideal. So I don't generally plan for them when picking a spot. If they fit, it's an added bonus.

Two things I wanted to add too that might help you. The 365/366 aren't all that popular, so use that to your advantage. We got a HUGE discount off of ours, without even trying. Most of the people looking at the Solitude line tend to not like the cramped living space and kitchen. Coming from looking at Toy Haulers, it wasn't a big deal for me. If you like the line however, it'll definitely be an easy to talk down price.

These are VERY heavy trailers, so be sure to plan for that. I weighed mine with a load of water and not much else and pulled some interesting numbers.

As rigged:

Weight Slip:

Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Chinadolle
    I had heard do to parts substitutions that the weights could be off, but WOW. If I ever had any delusions about squeaking by with a 3500 SRW... seeing your weight slip sure fixed that.
    I was already looking at DRW anyway, just hate finding a parking spot. Does the Mega cab actually feel like more leg room in the back seats in reality? I may have to take a Mega cab as it is the one closest to what I want, though I was looking for a Crew cab.
    I am used to towing horse trailers, I have a learning curve on RVs. The closest to RVs that I ever looked at before was horse trailer with living quarters, so these look like a rock star tour bus to me.
    They don't mark stuff down much in my state. But, I think it is an ok deal they offered me.
    The dealer guy said he found the Solitudes really comparable to the $100k+ models and couldn't personally see paying the extra for not much more in features. I had a wild hare and looked... geez, he's right. You have to go to 44' long to get much difference in luxury features and that's even harder to find a site for those & all the extra money. It's hard to find a big mobile home or modular house for these prices in my state and you get stainless appliances.
    Their service department is trying to talk me out of ventless washer/dryer saying I won't like how long it takes clothes to dry.
    I hope they stand up to the cold weather as well as they say.

Thanks so much for the help. That was super informative.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So to the MegaCab, very much so. I'm 6'4, I can sit behind myself with my legs crossed. I remember reading somewhere that "Shaq can cross his legs in the back without giving someone a concision". The thing that I love about the Mega is the storage. I can also flatten the whole back or just one side. I've had a 42" TV in the box behind the seat as well. Parking isn't so much an issue for me, I tend to park fairly far out so I don't get doored by people (Read Idiots lol).

The two suggestions I have when looking for a truck, get the Aisin, and decide beforehand if you want the towing prep or not. If you get a Crew Cab, get the towing prep! B&W hands down makes the best standard 5th wheel hitch for that setup, it's not that expensive and it's easy. MegaCab tends to limit your options. Most of the non-puck hitches require a picture frame which raises the hitch an inch and a half or so. Demco as far as I know makes a flush system, however they're the only ones. I say this because as far as I know, only curt makes a slider designed for the puck system right now. I'm running a standard B&W in the fully rearward position (4" behind the axle), which gives me ample turning, however I have still managed to hit my rear window. It came from paying more attention to the camera than the camper, however it happened. I was to the point where I wouldn't have been able to recover the RV from the turn and would have stopped had I been watching, so I'm content with sticking with my setup. I am paying more attention now however.

So RV to horse trailers I can help with too. It'll take corners just like a ~30 foot horse trailer except for the tail swing. Most LQ horse trailers push the axles to the rear of the trailer to provide a smoother ride for the animals. In a trailer the smoothest part of the ride will be directly over the axles, roughest being over the bed of the truck generally. That's one advantage of having the kitchen over the axles, everything tends to stay in it's place without much banging around. Thus far I've only been attacked by a knife block that went sliding around in the pantry.

As to the ventless washer and dryer.. I can't say for sure, I can say the steam as to go somewhere. If it's trying to slowly burn that off it will take forever. That also means you'll have a better chance of shrinking clothes. If you're worried about things nesting in the vent, I can suggest a truck I used to keep bugs out of farm equipment. I buy flea collars in bulk at Atwoods (packs of 5) and hang them in vents you really don't want to close up. Take my god awful expensive gas/electric fridge. I have one in each vent on the outside, just twist tied to the inside of the grate. I also keep them in the propane tank areas and anywhere that has open air access. Dirt Daubers tend to get into EVERYTHING here, so far it's the only thing that isn't covered in them.

As for my weights, keep in mind I also have 350 lbs hanging off the front of my truck between the Ranch Hand and the winch too. That plus the kayaks drove my steering axle weight up. Drive axle is all RV however.

This is my first RV (Purchased in Feb), so most of what I'm telling you comes from what I've learned since then (RV wise). I'm also the ripe old age of 30, so a lot more people here have me on experience in that department too! lol If you have a question someone here can answer it. I will also add don't be afraid to call Grand Design directly. I've fixed all but one issue myself with Grand Design just mailing me the parts. Chances are if you're having an issue, someone here has seen it before and can tell you how to fix it.

For your Ram knowledge, I would suggest CumminsForum.com. Same on the "Someone's probably seen it". This is my 5th Ram, my third Cummins, and first DRW. The truck I know a lot about needless to say lol.