User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Steve and Sara

adding a second A/C in bedroom

New to the forum and already have my first question. We have a 2015 337 RLS, had it out this weekend and found that the A/C really didn't cool the unit very well. We were in the full sun, but only about 75 out and it barely brought the temp down. We are heading across the desert southwest this summer to visit grand kids in OKC. and fear roasting on the way. Has anyone installed a second A/C? Is everything there to hook up electrical? How about the Tstat, Will it hook into the ducting. Is it a DIY job?(I'm pretty handy) That's more than one question I know. Any advice would be great. thanks Steve from Portland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion foe what it's worth, a second AC unit is an option, so I think wiring is available. I'd call customer service and ask
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Steve.

I have a 2014 337RLS.
    We added a bedroom A/C after several months.
    Yes, the wiring is there at the vent hole for power and at the wall mounted ceiling light switch for the thermostat.
    I had mine ducted into the race trac vent system and we are pleased with that arrangement.
    I had my dealer do it. Used the Dometic low profile unit.
    (The Dometic A/C units are a lot more noisy that the Atwood I have in the main cabin.)

But yes, it probably could be a DIY project. I have heard that the hardest part is getting the compressor unit
    up on the roof.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same A/C as you Ken, works well and I agree on the noise. I am okay with the noise if I can stay cool. If it is cool enough at night, we only run the Atwood.

One tip to improve the cooling on the Atwood is to pull the filter and clean it. Definitely improves the cooling and air flow.

Mike
    Mike

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ducting and wiring are already in place in the 337s. We have a "system" for using our two ACs: Hot mode (mid-day, sun, hot outside) = both ACs on and running as needed; evening/entertainment mode = living room AC off, bedroom AC on to minimize noise in the living area for watching TV, conversation, etc., and; sleep mode = bedroom AC off and living room AC on to minimize noise in the bedroom. As full-timers, this works very well for us. If the curb side of the trailer is facing the evening sun, it really helps to put the awning out far enough to shade the side of the trailer until the sun goes down, too. In addition, we keep the front closet sliding doors closed when it's really hot or cold outside. This provides an insulating buffer between the front cap and the bedroom.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015