Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumper bolt on Hitch

Has anyone bolted on a trailer hitch on your bumper. I want to do this so I can carry either my bike rack (up to 5 bikes) so I can carry my wife's and mine bike or a luggage carrier so I can carry my Blue tote or a little fire wood or my 3.5K Generator. About 100 to 150 lbs max for any application. If so....any issues?

Bob
    Robert & Josie Overman
    2017 Solitude 369RL
    2017 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn DRW (Transfer flow 37 gallon extra tank, B&W Companion Hitch and Retrax Pro Cover).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a bike rack, but I carry my porch on my back bumper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	4522
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the replies. On my last trailer, I did the same thing and it messed the frame up and I had to talk Lippert into fixing the frame. If you can't hang a few things on the bumper like bikes and stuff, what the heck good is it. They came out and fixed it.
    Robert & Josie Overman
    2017 Solitude 369RL
    2017 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn DRW (Transfer flow 37 gallon extra tank, B&W Companion Hitch and Retrax Pro Cover).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read somewhere 100 lbs max on the bumper. Two bikes max. Might be worth a call to GD to see what they say.

If you need more, it would probably be worthwhile to pay a welding shop to attach a hitch to the frame. The bumper on the front of my truck has a 2" receiver, so I carry most everything I need off of it.
    2015 Laramie 3500 MegaCab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
    Aisin | 4.10 | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
    2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1459/...75d6a83b_n.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same set up. I've already talked to a shop about welding a new bumper to replace what we have. They want $850, but believe me, the bumper would be stout!
    Robert & Josie Overman
    2017 Solitude 369RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, I was told by a sales manager that the bumper was rated for 300 lbs. Heck, if it were rated for only a 100 lbs, I would not be able to stand on it getting to the ladder to go up on the roof. I'm around 250 lbs. I guess I will give people a call so I can find out.
    Robert & Josie Overman
    2017 Solitude 369RL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize GD was still putting bumpers on any of their trailers so that's a surprize. Anyway, on my last trailer I ignored the bumper and had a shop weld an actual receiver to the frame. They ran the receiver through the bumper for appearance and to keep it from being too low. It came out great and worked very well. I could hold more than 300 lbs if I wanted to but I used it for a bike rack.

Not to complicate my answer but I actually had them weld three (3) receivers on because I used the other 2 to carry small racks they also built for me to carry my Honda generators and a fuel can.

I would so much rather have this kind of job done than either attaching one to the bumper or even redoing a beefier bumper but that's my personal preference. BTW, this cost close to $900.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwoverman View Post
    If I remember correctly, I was told by a sales manager that the bumper was rated for 300 lbs. Heck, if it were rated for only a 100 lbs, I would not be able to stand on it getting to the ladder to go up on the roof. I'm around 250 lbs. I guess I will give people a call so I can find out.
    I'm 280, it crossed my mind a few times installing my camera. My Ladder's on the side, so I have to use a stool to get to it.

Like Poppy, I was under the impression GD dropped the bumpers all together on the later years. That may have just been on the Reflection, it also could have caused a bit of an uproar that made them reconsider.

I thought I would also add, that 100 lb limit is a "Working Load". Think of it like ratchet straps. You have a breaking limit, and a working limit. Working limit is generally 1/4 breaking limit. That's the maximum weight of a "Jerk" while bouncing or during a wreck to keep things attached. The straps I use to haul vehicles are rated for 10,000 each, however working load tends to be more in the 2,500-3,000 range as an example.
    2015 Laramie 3500 MegaCab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
    Aisin | 4.10 | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
    2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1459/...75d6a83b_n.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is rated for 300 pounds. It has a sticker on the hitch and i talked to JD at Grand Design. we put a rack on the back and carried our 3100 generator to Talladega and back, and took a full a Yeti cooler and two blowup kayaks to Ft Walton and back. The rack weighs about 47 pounds and I try to stay around 200 - 225 pounds total to be safe. the rack has been a top notch investment so far.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lippert frame # on the Solitude is 3810001. 74 1/4" receiver. I think its Lippert part number 343452. It has a 150lb weight limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast