Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TRI pod support

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TRI pod support

With a 29RS FIFTH WHEEL DO YOU NEED TO USE THE TRI- POD TO SUPPORT THE FIFTH WHEEL?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you do not NEED to use it. It is for stability NOT support. Some say it helps some say it doesn't.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    No, you do not NEED to use it. It is for stability NOT support. Some say it helps some say it doesn't.
    I agree with Jim . . . but I had the chance to borrow a tripod to try out. Initially, I tightened it up to the pin as tight as I could by hand . . . and it made no difference. Then it occurred to me to lift the landing gear slightly to spread the front end load equally amongst the two landing gear legs and the tripod. This makes a big difference! So, we bought a tripod, an aluminum version of the one we borrowed, which is equally strong and half the weight to position or store. Based on this improvement, we have abandoned our plan to add Strong-arm stabilizers.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I agree with Jim . . . but I had the chance to borrow a tripod to try out. Initially, I tightened it up to the pin as tight as I could by hand . . . and it made no difference. Then it occurred to me to lift the landing gear slightly to spread the front end load equally amongst the two landing gear legs and the tripod. This makes a big difference! So, we bought a tripod, an aluminum version of the one we borrowed, which is equally strong and half the weight to position or store. Based on this improvement, we have abandoned our plan to add Strong-arm stabilizers.

Rob
    Rob,

Which tripod did you purchase? My main concern is that we use an Andersen hitch and have that adapter on the kingpin...

Other Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Thanks for tip Rob, always wondered if the tripod could handle this. Will try this next trip out.
    Terry & Cathy
    2015 293 RES Reflection #1051
    2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4wd S/D C/C

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Rob,

Which tripod did you purchase? My main concern is that we use an Andersen hitch and have that adapter on the kingpin...

Other Rob
    Hi Rob,

I purchased the Ultra-Fab Products "Alumilite" King Pin Stabilizer (Mfg PN 19-950200) from Camping World.
    http://www.campingworld.ca/shopping/...abilizer/31540
    Ultra-Fab also makes an aluminum Gooseneck Stabilizer with a ball on top, but this would be too short for the Andersen Hitch. They do show leg extensions on their website . . . or, maybe they could build you a King Pin Stabilizer with a ball on top ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcjohnson View Post
    Thanks for tip Rob, always wondered if the tripod could handle this. Will try this next trip out.
    Terry & Cathy,

When I was trying to figure out the right balance between load carried by the landing gear and load carried by the tripod . . . at one point, I had the landing gear right off the ground. I would never leave it like this, but the aluminum tripod is capable of carrying the pin weight of the 303RLS without deformation. I assume the steel version would be even stronger. Finding the right load balance is fairly easy. With all the load on the landing gear, I can wobble the front of the trailer by pushing on it. With the right amount of load transferred to the tripod, the wobble stops. Load the tripod too much and the wobble comes back.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry & Cathy,

When I was trying to figure out the right balance between load carried by the landing gear and load carried by the tripod . . . at one point, I had the landing gear right off the ground. I would never leave it like this, but the aluminum tripod is capable of carrying the pin weight of the 303RLS without deformation. I assume the steel version would be even stronger. Finding the right load balance is fairly easy. With all the load on the landing gear, I can wobble the front of the trailer by pushing on it. With the right amount of load transferred to the tripod, the wobble stops. Load the tripod too much and the wobble comes back.

Rob
    Thanks again Rob, we have the steel tripod but will definitely try your procedure.

Terry
    Terry & Cathy
    2015 293 RES Reflection #1051
    2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4wd S/D C/C