User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing while using propane appliances.

Kind of new to rving and was wondering about the above. Particularly the fridge.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some localities prohibit having the valves turned on let alone using appliances while towing.
    I never tow with the propane on just because I don't want the liability of a fiery mess on the highway and blow up some a minivan of kids if an accident occurs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always towed with fridge operating on propane. So far no problems at all.
    Ron
    2016 Reflection 317RST
    2012 Ram 3500, SRW, CC, LB 4x4 6.7 Cummins
    Katy, Texas

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have towed with the propane and refrigerator on for over 30 years, and there is endless debate on multiple RV forums about this practice. The systems are designed for doing this activity, and since we live in a very warm climate in Tucson, we'd prefer to not let our refrigerator heat up while on the road.

Here is a link to a post I made last year that goes into a lot of detail on this subject:

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...or+temperature

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always traveled with the propane on. Most of the big tunnels require you to stop and turn them off (Norfolk Va) or prohibit propane bottles completely (I95 through New York City). There are others these are just ones that I have dealt with.
    Brian and Kathy - Luray, Virginia
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 F250 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also wise to turn off the propane if stopping for fuel.
    Even if you are pumping diesel, the guy beside you might likely be pumping gasoline.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We leave our fridge on auto all the time. We do turn the propane off if posted to do so i.e. some bridges and tunnels.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Pioneer_SX1250
    I know a lot of folks do but I don't. I keep a number of the "blue ice" freezables and they keep things nice and cold while I travel. If we're stopping for any appreciable amount of time, I'll also kick it on (usually gas) while we're parked.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is always good for a debate. I get the impression that more people tow with their fridges on than not. I don't because I have never felt the need to. I rarely tow for more than six hours and everything stays cold and frozen for that long, even in hot weather. If I stop for an hour or more while enroute, I will put the fridge on. If I was putting in longer days, I might feel differently.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is worth a careful read of Jim's research (TucsonJim) linked in post #4 of this thread.

We are new to RVing and started out by turning off the fridge whenever traveling (following manufacturer's instructions).
    Our standard travel day is about 6 hours (lots of these, back and forth from Canada to Florida) and things in the fridge would be warming up and the fridge would then have to work hard to get things cold again. Lots of frost build up in the freezer.

We switched to leaving the fridge running on propane while travelling. Everything stays cold in the fridge and frozen in the freezer and there is far less frost buildup in the freezer. This is the right solution for us.

To the point made earlier about some road incident taking out the propane hose from the chassis to the slide . . . the tanks have max flow limit valves which will shut off propane flow if a hose is perforated.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast