Likes Likes:  0
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Equa-Flex Disassembly Report

When I rebuilt my suspension last week, I elected to replace the Equa-Flex equalizers. Now that I have a little free time, I disassembled one of the equalizers and photographed it to show wear points and its overall condition.

During disassembly, the key problem area appeared to be corrosion. Most of the external surfaces were showing corrosion which didn't surprise me too much. However, I didn't expect to find as much internal corrosion as I did. The plates, body and bolts were all significantly corroded for parts that were built in late 2013/early 2014. My rig was delivered in March of 2014, and made a round trip to the factory in February of 2015. This means it was possible that it was exposed to salty roads during at least one of those trips which may have exacerbated the problem. The yellow paint on the replacement part contains zinc which may provide for additional corrosion protection.

The rubber parts were showing some wear, but nothing unusual. The rig has about 22,000 miles on it now, so I would expect a little wear and tear on the rubber interface. There was no cracking or defects that would significantly affect functionality.

The bushings in this model were brass, and were in pretty good shape. I'd expect them to go many more miles, especially if they were regularly lubricated with a premium grease. But take note: The bushings with the replacement model were the Never Fail variety, and should not be lubricated.

I'm posting some pictures below. My recommendation would be to keep an eye on your Equa-Flex equalizers during your normal suspension inspections. If you start to see significant external corrosion, it may indicate internal corrosion also and replacement should be considered. A replacement pair runs less than $200 on Amazon. For my rig, I purchased the set for 6,000-8,000 pound axles.

Overview picture of a disassembled Equa-Flex equalizer. Note the significant corrosion on the internal parts of the unit.

Close up view of the rubber block in the Equa-Flex equalizer. It is in pretty good shape for 22K miles.

New and old Equa-Flex equalizer side by side. The new unit is painted with a zinc based paint which may provide for additional corrosion protection.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked on Amazon and none of the photos show the yellow ones. How did you get yellow ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth & Moe View Post
    I've looked on Amazon and none of the photos show the yellow ones. How did you get yellow ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe they are using an old photo. When I ordered the replacements. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the yellow version.