Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

More Solar Questions

So I've been contemplating adding some solar to my overall setup. Currently I use my generator to recharge my batteries when we are dry camping but that can take me at least 3, maybe 4 hours a day at our level of usage. That's a lot of propane and afternoon noise. So, and don't say a word to Deb who is so sick of me spending more and more money on our trailer, I am contemplating a solar setup which would keep my batteries charged and just use my generator for A/C, microwave, hair dryer, etc.

My question is how well solar does when there isn't direct sun for "x" hours a day? Do solar panels gather any energy in cloudy conditions? How about some tree cover, anything? I am inclined to go with a "carry out" setup, like Jim's (and others) but if it's overcast I wonder if they still get enough to charge the batteries up during the day?

How do I determine how many panels of what size I need to keep my batteries charged on a daily basis?

Thanks for any input.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, 200 watts would be minimal for your batteries, but 400 watts would be ideal. Check out the Renogy 400 watt RV kits. The more expensive has a better controller that is hands off once set up. I tried the portable kit and it wasn't enough and, once the novelty wears off, is an annoyance to set up. Cloudy days are not really a big problem, you just harvest less and that is why 400 watts over 200 watts. 200 probably is enough for sunny days, but 400 is better for cloudy days.
    I researched for over a year and found it all overwhelming. Once I just decided to go with the kit, it was a matter of installation and I was done.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
    Paul, 200 watts would be minimal for your batteries, but 400 watts would be ideal. Check out the Renogy 400 watt RV kits. The more expensive has a better controller that is hands off once set up. I tried the portable kit and it wasn't enough and, once the novelty wears off, is an annoyance to set up. Cloudy days are not really a big problem, you just harvest less and that is why 400 watts over 200 watts. 200 probably is enough for sunny days, but 400 is better for cloudy days.
    I researched for over a year and found it all overwhelming. Once I just decided to go with the kit, it was a matter of installation and I was done.
    Go with Renogy. They are good to work with. They have a rv kit that is expandable that includes every thing you need to have a working setup. The tech support is also good. After we take possession of our 337RLS, I am getting the rv kit for occasional dry camping. SkiSmuggs is right on as for as sunshine or lack there of. Even cloudy days will still work just less output from the solar panel. Renogy has on their website a calculator to help you figure out what size kit you need.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    So I've been contemplating adding some solar to my overall setup. Currently I use my generator to recharge my batteries when we are dry camping but that can take me at least 3, maybe 4 hours a day at our level of usage. That's a lot of propane and afternoon noise. So, and don't say a word to Deb who is so sick of me spending more and more money on our trailer, I am contemplating a solar setup which would keep my batteries charged and just use my generator for A/C, microwave, hair dryer, etc.

My question is how well solar does when there isn't direct sun for "x" hours a day? Do solar panels gather any energy in cloudy conditions? How about some tree cover, anything? I am inclined to go with a "carry out" setup, like Jim's (and others) but if it's overcast I wonder if they still get enough to charge the batteries up during the day?

How do I determine how many panels of what size I need to keep my batteries charged on a daily basis?

Thanks for any input.
    I went will the Go Power! GP-PSK-120 120W Portable Folding Solar Kit with 10 Amp Solar Controller.

I got an estimate from AM Solar. A professional solar installation cost a lot of money. Almost $4,000.00.

Maybe someday I will get some panels on the roof. Time will tell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51U2VsYxwQL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	4563
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Paul, On my 200 watt system, I'm usually charged in about 2-3 hours with full sunshine. It takes 6-8 hours with cloudy skies.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, if you do your own installation as I did, the Renogy 400 watt RV kit is $780. I notice they have the option of the Viewstar controller which I have (10w on the portable and 30w for the roof mounts). The Viewstar has great set up options so you can match the parameters to the factory charging specs of your batteries. I have no info on the default Adventurer controller but you could discuss with Renogy.
    The complete 200w RV kit is $610 and can be expanded later with one or two more panels and extra cable so that is a good option to get you started for less.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I had hoped to keep the cost under $500 but that may be unrealistic. I also am not thrilled about mounting on the roof.

Looks like this project may have to wait a year. My money tree needs to re-grow
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I had hoped to keep the cost under $500 but that may be unrealistic. I also am not thrilled about mounting on the roof.

Looks like this project may have to wait a year. My money tree needs to re-grow
    The Renogy 200 watt monocrystalline solar RV kit with the Viewstar controller (which I would recommend so you could add a monitor down the road if you wished) will be right at $500. Add a little more for some aluminum for a portable stand and you will have a nice start on going solar with room to expand when you're ready.

cb1000rider
    1) You need direct sun to charge. Partial sun (offset to the panel or partial panel in the sun) will partial charge. Clouds or shade = no charge.
    2) Think of solar like you do your water tank. You have:

A) A flow of water (solar charge) filling up the tank
    B) The size of your tank, IE how many batteries and their capacity
    C) How quickly you use the water, or how quickly you use your electricity

We can provide very accurate answers, but need to know how much power you're drawing on average, your battery size, your solar array size, and how much sun you've got...
    The reality is that a modern RV really doesn't draw that much power (usually) - assuming LED lights and NOT using a power inverter. If you're really boon-docking for days, using the water pump a lot, or have an inverter - then you might want to do some calculations.

You can test it out in your back yard, just keep a volt meter and check the batteries every once in a while.

Another common way to solve the issue - if you're going to boondock for days is a small generator that could be used to charge the trailer in the event that you don't see the sun for several successive days.

I've got no solar system, two fairly large deep cycle batteries - I don't really start watching the charge level until day 3 or so, but that's very conservative (we've got a generator). I may not use power like you do...

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar panels do work when it's cloudy or even foggy. In fact they work better in cool weather. They will even work under 1 inch of snowfall.
    Here's a link that is worth a read http://pureenergies.com/us/home-sola...s/solar-myths/
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 05-25-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added link
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast