Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford F-150 3.5 Eco Boost and Reflection RS

Hi all, new to forum. I currently have another brand TT. We like it but don't like the driving in windy conditions. Also, we just happen to be at a KOA next to a dealer that carries Grand Design. We went over and found that we like the look and layout of the Reflection 29RS. May take a closer look at it today. Does anyone tow this model with a Ford Eco Boost 3.5. My details are in my signature. Also, what type of special equipment might I need, such as a slide hitch (correct term?)? I have a short bed 5.5 feet. Thanks in advance.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't say if you have the max payload but the EcoBoost with max tow will be ok for the 29RS. I know one guy that tows a 303 with the same truck and I have seen a couple on this forum. You will either need a slide hitch in the truck or a Sidewinder PIN box on the trailer. I had a RAM with 5.7 box and I had no issues with the Sidewinder. It lets you install a lighter hitch in the truck and gives you plenty of space to put stuff in the box too. I'm not an expert but I think the superglide sliding hitch gives you about 14 inches of extra travel. The sidewinder gives you 22 extra inches.
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Paul for your advise. I do not have the max payload, just max tow. But with the airbags and E rated tires I believe my payload ratings have increased. I know I have plenty of power.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with a F150 towing a 5th wheel isn't tow capacity but payload capacity. The dry pin is 1476 with most of the storage forward of the wheels a percentage of what you load in the 5er adds to the weight on the pin, including the huge forward storage compartment. So lets take the 1476 we add just 324 lbs so the pin would 1800 lbs sitting in the back of your truck. Now add passengers to the truck if you are like me and my wife that's another 350lbs so with the pin weight in the back of the truck and passengers you need to have a payload of 2150lbs. You will need a hitch and probably a slider and the will around 200 lbs plus the 2150 you have that 2350 payload. Now look at your truck (not the website) and find a yellow sticker on the door and it will say "Do Not Exceeded Weight" and that what your trucks max payload and that should be greater 2350lbs.

The next thing the dealer going to is quote you a tow capacity of probably 11,000 lbs or what ever it is. That is true with a TT with a tongue weight percentage of 10% but most of the 5ers run between 20 and 25 percent. The issue is not tow capacity it is payload capacity and exceeding that rating you could easily exceed you Max Axle Weights and you Max Tire Weight Ratings. Tires can be fixed by adding air bags or springs doesn't increase the Axle Ratings.

Here is a great website were you can play with the numbers http://towingplanner.com/ and remember it's still a guess.

Good Luck and Keep Your Love Ones Safe
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Thank Paul for your advise. I do not have the max payload, just max tow. But with the airbags and E rated tires I believe my payload ratings have increased. I know I have plenty of power.
    Adding air bags DOES NOT increase your payload nor do tires. You have other factors then just making the truck level like Max Axle Weights.

On Edit - Your Ecco Boost engine will handle the weight since has a great torque curve so people will say how great it tows but the entire issue is payload not power.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Adding air bags DOES NOT increase your payload nor do tires. You have other factors then just making the truck level like Max Axle Weights.

On Edit - Your Ecco Boost engine will handle the weight since has a great torque curve so people will say how great it tows but the entire issue is payload not power.
    CWSWine is correct - can't emphasize this enough. You cannot increase the payload capacities or ratings on the truck.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

Thanks again for the replies while I try to figure this out. No doubt the fifth wheel will be more weight in bed. But I'm conflicted on the payload. When I look at the door sticker it gives a weight of 1540 lbs, but it states with original tires. And I previous had low profile 20" 4 plies. I have switched them to 10 ply E rated. As I stated, I also put in airbags to beef up suspension. So I know nothing has changed the axles, and those would be the same. But all three contribute to figure max payload correct??
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Hi all, new to forum. I currently have another brand TT. We like it but don't like the driving in windy conditions. Also, we just happen to be at a KOA next to a dealer that carries Grand Design. We went over and found that we like the look and layout of the Reflection 29RS. May take a closer look at it today. Does anyone tow this model with a Ford Eco Boost 3.5. My details are in my signature. Also, what type of special equipment might I need, such as a slide hitch (correct term?)? I have a short bed 5.5 feet. Thanks in advance.
    The key to towing one of the smaller Reflection 5th wheels with an F150 is having Factory Option 627 Heavy Duty Payload Package.
    You will find many F150s with the Max Towing option, but few with Heavy Payload package as well. A 2015 4x4 Crew Cab F150 with Option 627 has a payload of 2600 lbs. More is available with 4x2 or a smaller cab.

The key differences with Option 627 are a physically bigger rear axle, an extra rear leaf spring and OEM LT wheels and tires.

5th wheel towing with the 5.5 ft bed would take caution even with a slider. The more common configuration is the 6.5 ft bed with a slider.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That rating is not because of your tires but max for the truck. You will also see a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) on those stickers that you shouldn't exceeded. To verify that sticker you need to spend 10 bucks and bring it to a scales at Loves or another truck stop and weight your truck. The difference between the GVWR and your scale weight is your payload. One of the problems with exceeding your GVWR is the Axle Ratings are very close to your GVWR on F150 were a HD truck has much large gap.

No, adding tires and airbags doesn't change the amount of weight bearings, gears, axles, hubs, trucks springs, and trucks frame can carry. Again that rating is not your tires but the rating for your entire truck.
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using your 1540 and 350 lbs of passengers and 200 lbs hitch this is the max 5er weight for the remain payload of your truck

You're adding approximately 550 lbs. to the truck. You have 990 lbs. of payload capacity. Fifth wheels typically have 20% - 25% pin weight which gives you a maximum loaded camper weight of 3,960 - 4,950 lbs.

Those numbers are from here http://towingplanner.com/Calculators...5&hw=200&ct=FW

Using a 100 lbs hitch weight and TT those ratings will jump up to 10,000 plus pounds
    Dennis & Ellie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast