User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Pioneer_SX1250

Yet another Furrion camera install question

Sorry, but it's true. At least it's on a different Grand Design line. I hope no one minds it here too much, but this is where all the camera threads seem to show up.

I have an Imagine 2600RB (mfg 2/16). I had the dealer install the Furrion Observation system for me, since they had it to do a ladder install as well. According to them, the camera would only work when the running lights were on. I specifically asked about this because of information from this forum about cameras that were constant on. Hooked up and brought it home, camera worked great. Only problem is that it was adjusted so that I was seeing a lot more of my spare tire than I was of the road behind me, but that was an easy fix. That evening, I noticed a blue light on the camera and yes, the running lights were off. Experimentation showed that yes, the camera was on and that there were two ways to turn it off. I could disconnect from shore power and disconnect the battery , or I could pull the fuse for the kitchen/bedroom lights. Yeah, I don't get that one either.

Plan A was to change the power over to the running lights, Plan B was to add an inline switch somewhere convenient to control the camera. Got both suggestions here. And as you may have heard, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

I have pulled the camera from the mount. It is patched into a red/white and white wires, with red/white being hot. There is only a small opening into the wall for the wires, so you can't see what's going on in the wall. I am really loathe to break the seal on the mount or running lights while still in warranty. I have pulled the surround for the roof vent in the bathroom to gain access into the roof and ran an inspection camera to the back wall. There are no wires visible, either for the camera or the running lights directly above. I am guessing they are inside the wall. There is no access into the wall available to confirm that.

We are getting ready for our first outing with the Imagine next weekend, and it's the middle of camping season for us and our friends, so we're out 1-3 times a month up until November. Our dealer is great, but this time of year they are stacked up with work, so it might be a number of missed trips to get our unit back if we take it in for this. I plan on calling GD tomorrow (if I can steal a few minutes at work) to see what they can offer. I thought I'd toss this out here and see if anyone here had any thoughts. I can pull the fuse while we're not camping, and just leave it in and hope we don't fry the camera on the weekends we camp, but I'd like a better solution than that. The only idea I have right now is a switch installed somewhere that kills that entire circuit, and that seems less than elegant.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a switch on the hot lead to my battery to shut the entire coach off. I found that my batteries would drain from the propane alarm and smoke detectors, radio and etc. This is the one I installed and matches the one that was on my hot lead that went to my invertor.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-Ba...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you not have a battery disconnect already from factory?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Char&Matt View Post
    Do you not have a battery disconnect already from factory?
    Yes that doesn't turn off everything just most of the stuff. It leaves the rear camera, radio, smoke and propane detectors, and some other stuff on when battery switch is in the off position.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 29RS and was able to fish a cable from the camera connection all the way to the front of the RV inside the cabinet and use a switch on the control panel. I removed the skylight, both ceiling speakers, and the bathroom fan cover on the inside. I then used a fiberglass tent pole with a wire attached and fed a cable both directions along side the ducting working through the skylight hole. I taped the tent pole sections as I put them together so I could pull it back out without it coming apart. I also used a piece of electric fence wire to feed down inside the wall through the ceiling at the bathroom vent to the cabinet and on to the control panel. My camera connection was accessible through the speaker hole closest to the back of the camper. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huey
    Ky
    2015 29RS
    2008 2500HD Chevrolet Duramax

Pioneer_SX1250
    I do have a battery disconnect but it does not turn off the camera if I'm connected to shore power. You have to pull all power to the unit to kill it. As far as the video, I wish mine was that easy. They've buried the wiring quite thoroughly.

You can't get to any of the wiring for the camera except for the wiring right at the camera itself. This leaves you with few options. The best one I see at the moment is to drill a small hole through the wall to the inside, which in a 2600 is the bathroom, fish the wires through and mount a switch. Not a great solution, but not horrible. Problem is there is some cabinetry right where the camera mounts that would complicate it a good bit.

I've emailed Grand Design's support folks. The first answer I got was that it was OK to leave the camera on all the time. Knowing better than that from posts here, I emailed Furrion and asked it it was OK to leave that particular camera on constatnly and got the "No, it will fail prematurely" answer, which I forwarded to the support rep from Grand Design, with the request that I would appreciate it if he bumped this one upstairs. I also told them that I'm not looking for a lot, just how to hook it up to the running lights or a way to put a switch in the line. That was Thursday 6/2; I haven't heard anything back yet. I figure if I don't hear from them today I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get something shaken loose.

What I really don't understand is why this wasn't done correctly, as in to Furrion's spec, at the factory. GD did tell me it's wired into the AC control circuit, which is at the other end of the unit. The clearance lights are 6 inches away. In what bizarre reality did that make sense?

At any rate, I'll up date this if there's any news. Seems like I'm the first Imagine owner dealing with this, which is hard to believe. The camera is well worth the money in my book, especially in traffic. A little distracting the first time you drive with it, but you get over that pretty quickly.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 357 is in the same boat, no obvious place to add a switch since the wire is hidden somewhere. I am thinking about using something like the following off of the existing camera power:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-4V-5V-6V-...item4d3ca8cf2c
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    2016 GD Reflection 357BHS

Pioneer_SX1250
    Now there's an elegant solution to the problem. I wonder if there is enough room behind the camera to mount the relay? I'll have to check. Might have to shorten the power leads to free up some space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2016 Reflection 27RL I removed the camera mount and the clearance light which is about 2" above it. When I pulled the wires out of the hole behind the clearance light, I found a hole that was open to the hole behind the camera mount. I spliced the power and ground wires for the camera to the power and ground wires for the clearance light. My camera power is now controlled by the truck light switch. Neat, simple and works great. Sorry, I did not take pictures.
    Charlie & Jenny

Cooper - Standard Poodle
    Baron - Standard Poodle, Gone but not forgotten
    2016 Reflection 27RL, Steady Fast Stabilizer
    2015 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab Duramax/Allison
    Andersen Ultimate Rail Mount

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast