User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gsxrgrizz

Trailer vs Tow Vehicle Weight...would I be OK?

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie HD with the 6.7 HO Cummins. It has a short box, I am 98% sure a 3:73 rear end but can't find a sticker anywhere on the truck to confirm that and I am running Transforce E rated tires.

As for the engine, I have completed the full EGR and DPF deletes, am running a 4" Flow Pro turbo back exhaust and have a custom MAP from Double R Diesel.

Proposed Trailer....

2015 Solitude Grande Design Fifth Wheel...GVWR 16,000, UVW 13,200, Hitch Weight 2,640. Trailer is 12'11" high and 40' 10" long

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many wheels does the Ram have on the ground? All you have improved is awesome, but means nothing in terms of what you can SAFELY haul!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Gsxrgrizz
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    How many wheels does the Ram have on the ground? All you have improved is awesome, but means nothing in terms of what you can SAFELY haul!
    That my friend, is exactly why I am here!!! Obviously, I am reading that you think this is too much trailer so what would you recommend as a max weight to keep in mind while we search???

Sorry, I forgot to say it has 4 wheels and 4 wheel drive. As for towing, the trailer would go to our lake lot 280km away at the start of summer and sit until it comes home at the end for winter. We don't travel anywhere else at this time.

We currently have a 2014 37 foot Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD travel trailer but are looking for a better bedroom for us and this was one of the possibilities.
    Last edited by Gsxrgrizz; 06-03-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
    That my friend, is exactly why I am here!!! Obviously, I am reading that you think this is too much trailer so what would you recommend as a max weight to keep in mind while we search???

Sorry, I forgot to say it has 4 wheels and 4 wheel drive. As for towing, the trailer would go to our lake lot 280km away at the start of summer and sit until it comes home at the end for winter. We don't travel anywhere else at this time.

We currently have a 2014 37 foot Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD travel trailer but are looking for a better bedroom for us and this was one of the possibilities.
    I have the same truck, as a 2011 model. Same modifications.

I wouldn't hesitate to hook up to any Solitudes and tow them. You are well within the weight specs for a SRW 3500, even unmodified.

There will always be people that say that the only way to tow a fifth wheel is with a dually. Been down that route, and will never own a dually again.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only using it twice a year, you are more than good to go.
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go to your truck and look near the driver's side door for the tire placard. I'm posting an example below:

As you can see in the example, the maximum weight you can load on the truck is 3,339 pounds. This is a combination of passengers, cargo, hitch, pin weight, etc. You show that the pin weight of the Solitude you are looking at is 2,640 pounds. Let's say you have that 2,640 (empty - More likely 3,000 pounds loaded), 350 pounds of driver and passengers, 125 pounds for the hitch, and 200 pounds of other cargo. That would be approximately 3,675 pounds which would exceed the capacity of the example truck by 336 pounds.

Many trucks can PULL very heavy trailers with no problems at all. The issue comes down to payload capacity which is the weight you put ON the truck. The limiting factor is usually not known. It can be the springs, brakes, tires, etc. The engineers who designed the truck calculated the maximum safe weight, and to exceed this puts you at risk. If you are over weight, you can cause premature wear, unexpected failures and be liable in an accident. With that said, there are many folks who exceed their truck's capacity and never experience a problem.

Check out this flow chart for some basic information on matching a truck and a trailer:

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, thank you for republishing the best wisdom on this subject! Many people say that they have no issues with their vehicle combination, it pulls fine, very stable, etc. But the numbers stand for themselves- and that is the point I have been making on this subject. Go to a scale and get the weights. First as the complete rig, then the tow vehicle only. Compare them to the placard you referenced in the door jamb. Look at the numbers showing maximum load on the sidewall of the tow vehicle tires. If you are exceeding these, you need to be aware and realize you are posting your opinion, and it is most valuable to you only!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same trailer you do. My truck is a 3/4 ton and the only difference between it and a 1 ton is the springs. A dually only gives you more traction on the road. I own a 2003 dodge 2500 and have had no problems towing my camper what so ever. Add some gauges to your truck if you haven't already for the transmission temperature and watch your EGT's. Put your truck on a CAT scale fully loaded with cargo and people, then repeat the process with your trailer for each weight. Use common sense and proceed with caution. My truck pulls my trailer like it is nothing. I have also added air bags and upgrade ANYTHING I possibly can.
    2015 Grand Design Solitude
    2003 Dodge Ram 2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdCoast View Post
    A dually only gives you more traction on the road.
    Um, no. Don't believe me? Let's have you carry a 500lb log on your back and see how it feels, then add your buddy to help you carry it and see which is better. The extra tires allow the load to be distributed so that each tire is carrying half the load it otherwise would, providing a significant margin of safety.

That said, I don't believe a dually is required for all larger campers as many people do. But to say there's no benefit beyond "increased traction" is just plain wrong.
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who are interested, I just got an email from etrailer offering rebates on Air Lift air bags and compressors, check it out on their website! And this will NOT increase your load carrying capacity, unlike choosing a dual rear wheel truck, which has many benefits besides increased load capacity! Safety margin for example!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast