Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water under floor , insulation soaking wet, unknown how it got that way

Today I noticed a soft spot in the floor next to the door where the slide comes in. I looked up under the slide, and there is about a foot space that you can get to that runs the length of the slide. It has plastic that covers the area where the floor is. In between this plastic is insulation and then the wood floor that you walk on. The insulation was completely soaked with water. I am not sure how this water got there. There were no tears or rips in the plastic (until I cut it) Fortunately, the damage to the wood is minimal and I can cut it out and repair it. I wanted to let everyone know about this because some of you may have this problem and not know about it. I am really concerned that I have not found how the water got in there. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have checked the rubber all around the slide and it is all there. Nothing is missing or was torn. This area is not the "underbelly" that is a little lower in the frame but is the area just underneath the floor that has about 3 inches or so of insulation then covered with a sheet of plastic similar to a thick garbage bag. If I had not seen this, it may have rotted the wood all in the kitchen area. My unit is only 1.5 years old and has seen very little use.

thanks

Dan Momentum 355th

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you driven in the rain lately? I have heard reports of water getting kicked up by the tires and getting on the slide rails and traveling inside the frame and soaking things in there.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did drive in the rain a couple of times. Is it really not acceptable to drive in the rain? I have to find a way to stop this from happening again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhaile View Post
    We did drive in the rain a couple of times. Is it really not acceptable to drive in the rain? I have to find a way to stop this from happening again.
    Just sumpthin' to check
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pulled in rain many times with no problems so far
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have slide-toppers? If not, it's possible that water accumulated on top of the slide during rain and then ran down when the slide was inside.
    John & Carol Souza
    Happily Retired and currently living in Cottonwood, Northern California
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI, here is the thread I was referring to.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...-double-check?
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhaile View Post
    Today I noticed a soft spot in the floor next to the door where the slide comes in. I looked up under the slide, and there is about a foot space that you can get to that runs the length of the slide. It has plastic that covers the area where the floor is. In between this plastic is insulation and then the wood floor that you walk on. The insulation was completely soaked with water. I am not sure how this water got there. There were no tears or rips in the plastic (until I cut it) Fortunately, the damage to the wood is minimal and I can cut it out and repair it. I wanted to let everyone know about this because some of you may have this problem and not know about it. I am really concerned that I have not found how the water got in there. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have checked the rubber all around the slide and it is all there. Nothing is missing or was torn. This area is not the "underbelly" that is a little lower in the frame but is the area just underneath the floor that has about 3 inches or so of insulation then covered with a sheet of plastic similar to a thick garbage bag. If I had not seen this, it may have rotted the wood all in the kitchen area. My unit is only 1.5 years old and has seen very little use.

thanks

Dan Momentum 355th
    Hi Dan (@dhalle),

I have taken the liberty of asking our Customer Support to contact you. Or if it is more convenient please feel free to contact your RV dealer, or our Customer Support directly by calling (574) 825-9679 or emailing [email protected], for assistance.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.