Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide issue? Door deadbolt issue

I just brought home a 2800BH - My wife and I spent an entire day going through it with a fine tooth comb and have a page and half of items we want addressed (mostly lose moldings, loose compartment locks, compartment seals damaged by someone closing the compartment with the lock in the locked position, and the like). Of those there are two big ones we found - the slide is not sitting flush at the bottom and the deadbolt will not fully extend.

While doing my inspection I noted to the dealer that the base of the slide was not flush with the wall, yet the top of the slide is. The dealer told me that as long as there was a good seal that it is fine. So, I looked at the seal and there is indeed a good seal. However, it is bothering me that the base of the slide is sticking out about an inch or so away from the outside wall when pulled all the way in and yet the top is flush. When looking down the side of the coach you can clearly see that the top is in and the bottom is sticking out a bit. To me there seems to be a slide alignment issue. In addition, as the slide extends the last foot or so, it makes a bit of a clunking noise (three techs at the dealer said this is normal). Are these slide issues something I should be concerned about even though the dealer says it is fine?

The other major issue I found was that the deadbolt will not go to its full extension. When I turn the key it will turn about a 1/2 way and stops. It appears that ether the sidewall was never drilled to allow the deadbolt to fully extend or the deadbolt is too long, or the whole mechanism was mounted too close to the edge of the door. Has anyone else had this problem? My dealer was perplexed as to what to do. They did not want to drill a hole into the door frame support - which I am glad they were reluctant to do it. If any Grand Design reps are on here, I would love some guidance on this one as I worry about not being able to properly deadbolt the door. I also noted that the door has a very slight bow in it. The bow happens to be where the deadbolt is.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can give you my experience with the slide. I have a 2600rb and the slide sticks out about a half inch at the top not the bottom like yours does. I was told same thing by the dealer as you were told. I even went and looked at three other imagines on the lot that they had, one of which was a 2800bh, and all had similar issues with slide. So I was convinced that they are all like this and that it should be OK. Mine too makes a clunking sound towards the end.
    Maybe we both have defective slides or its normal. 😃

Can't comment on deadbolt. But the door lock and deadbolt is a little confusing. My wife still can't figure it out and takes her like five minutes to either lock or unlock it. 😂 Probably what happened to yours. Someone at the dealer lot probably messed around with locking the door so much that it's now broke. Call GD service and have them work with your dealer to have it fixed correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Even though your rigs are Imagine TTs, you will find many discussions of the very same slide concern that you may find informative. I will tell you that this is not at all uncommon across many trailers I have had as well as the GD trailers. Technically as long as the bulb seal has some degree of crush when the slide is closed, it is sealed. Does it look like we would want it to? For many of us, the answer is no but again, this is very common. Some owners have been successful in adjusting them to reduce the amount of difference between the top and bottom but most dealers will just say it's normal and doesn't need to be messed with.

As far as the clunking sound you are hearing goes, I have not experienced that sound for a foot or more of travel. The slides do have a clutch that will make a fairly distinctive, and alarming at first, clunking sound as it reaches it's full limit. This is VERY normal and actually is helpful in knowing you are all the way in or out and will not damage the unit. But I'm not certain that that is what you are hearing as this noise is right at the end of travel.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Poppy that is the clunk I was referring to. At the end of travel. I believe that is what bosborn experiences too from his description.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstepp22 View Post
    Yes Poppy that is the clunk I was referring to. At the end of travel. I believe that is what bosborn experiences too from his description.

Then you have no problem. It's completely normal.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am relieved to read that the slide not being flush is okay. While not the best look, I could tell that the seal was good. I was just concerned that the slide might have been out of adjustment and perhaps that was why I hear the clunking sound towards the end of the slide extension. Regarding the clunking sound, I only hear it on one side, the side towards the back of the trailer.

Regarding the deadbolt, do any of you know if there are adjustments that can be made to the mechanism within the door latch? Perhaps something that sets the depth that the deadbolt is extended?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bosborn View Post

Regarding the deadbolt, do any of you know if there are adjustments that can be made to the mechanism within the door latch? Perhaps something that sets the depth that the deadbolt is extended?
    You are probably going to have to drill a hole in the door frame large enough to accept the "bolt." Mine are drilled. There isn't an adjustment on dead-bolts to adjust extension length. For security you want it to be into the frame not just the little "catch" plate.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought some photos might help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top flush.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	4726

Name:	Deadboth catch.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	4727

Name:	bottom gap.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	4728
    Last edited by bosborn; 06-08-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go inside and look for daylight around the seal.
    Steven and Linda Akers

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regarding that "CLUNK" sound. I've owned many RVs over the years, and I know it's not a problem, but I still don't like it! It sounds like the slide out is ripping right out of the frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast