Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Propane supply

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane supply

So i believe we have visited this before, i can't seem to find it so i apologize in advance for any duplication. My appliances, fridge, heater, water heater etc work great. In the past while supplying propane from the door side of the fifth wheel, 303 RLS, all and everything worked except the heater. It would kick on, then immediately kick off like a surge in propane. the blower worked but the heat part would ignite, then off again. When propane supply was switched to the curb side, everything worked great. i would run the heater, water heater fridge etc. so to the dealer for warranty work. they changed out the regulator and did a check the system, said all was fine as we had a bad regulator. Well NOT, they were still supplying propane from both sides. So off searching I went. I first thought that feeding from one side through one regulator into a switching valve then into another regulator was the issue, so i removed the door side regulator, this did not work. I then continued on with my search and what i found is that the supply hose feeding the change over valve has a small check valve inside. It was turned inside with a bent spring. so i removed it and eliminated the obstruction. So now that all is working perfect the questions: Why do i need two regulators? What is the reason for the check valve before the valve as the other side of the switching valve doesn't have one? etc? So again, long story and any duplication from previous post I apologize, any comments, etc. greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The curb side regulator is a safety feature.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Question 1 - Why do I need two regulators? Once the propane leaves the curb side regulator, it goes into a long flexible hose to the other side which can't be seen, and can't be leak tested without removing it from the metal channel it sits in. The curb side regulator keeps the pressure at a reasonable level to help prevent an over-pressure situation and possible leak.

Question 2 - What is the reason for the check valve before the valve as the other side of the switching valve doesn't have one? I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this. When GD was asked in the past, the basic answer was that the system was built to code and approved... The valve is called a back check valve and is designed to keep propane from flowing in a reverse direction. As to why they only installed a back check valve on one side is not really known. It should be noted that your pigtails also have a back check valve, so any that are installed in the system are redundant.

Here is a link to the original (and lengthy thread)
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...hlight=pigtail

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I get it. I have read through the whole 13 pages of information about the issue. As i said above, removing the check valve resolved the issue for me. we have been on the road now for 9 days without an issue, ran heater, furnace, stove and fridge without any issues. we have been at 40* to 90* and all is fine. Safety is important yes, if the system has a pressure hose rated at 300PSI and the tank is putting out 100 psi, why, why why. I think when i get home, i will get with the local propane company and maybe plumb in a solid piece of 3/8 or half inch steel gas line like was in my old trailer then i won't have to worry about the crossing over issue. In the mean time i will run off the street side for safety sake. I may mess with it this weekend before heading home and see about the regulator without the additional check valve. Thanks all and all before in previous posts. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !