User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is basement partition wall of 337RLS structural?

I have had the panels off inside the basement of our 337RLS and there seems to be a lot of wasted space in there. I would love to convert some of this to usable basement space.

I want to install a small fridge in the basement near the curbside basement door. To do so would require gaining some more space, and installing some venting with a fan to exchange the air in order for the fridge condenser to work at maximum efficiency.

Can anyone tell me if the 2x2 structure for the partition wall is structural (a bearing wall)? In other words, is it needed to support the floor above?

If it is required for floor support, I could still convert some of that space through the use of headers, etc. If it isn't structural, it is a no brainer...

Thanks in advance to all!
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be better to post this over in the tech corner where GD monitors the thread and will respond.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the 2x2 structure for the partition wall is structural (a bearing wall)? In other words, is it needed to support the floor above?
    Call GD Customer Support at 574-825-9679 and they'll be able to answer your question.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at it closely you should see it isn't structural, the wood is basically to hold the panels. The structure of the trailer is an aluminium frame. At least mine is.

Ben
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's structural. I opened mine up to fix a leak. The vertical 2x2's are spaced to far apart to provide much support.

John

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    I have had the panels off inside the basement of our 337RLS and there seems to be a lot of wasted space in there. I would love to convert some of this to usable basement space.

I want to install a small fridge in the basement near the curbside basement door. To do so would require gaining some more space, and installing some venting with a fan to exchange the air in order for the fridge condenser to work at maximum efficiency.

If it is required for floor support, I could still convert some of that space through the use of headers, etc. If it isn't structural, it is a no brainer...

Thanks in advance to all!

Not sure how the heating system is in the 337, but keep in mind, in some trailers those areas are used for heating air return etc. and you want to be careful not to disturb how the air flows through there. Just something to consider.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Not sure how the heating system is in the 337, but keep in mind, in some trailers those areas are used for heating air return etc. and you want to be careful not to disturb how the air flows through there. Just something to consider.
    My feeling exactly and in the 337, that's exactly what's going on behind there.

OP, please report back on what GD tells you so we all know!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    And there's a minimum clearance spec for the heater and water heater, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wall is certainly not structural in a 303RLS as there are no vertical 2x2s . . . just pieces of plywood edge screwed together.
    But, Jim (JCR GD) is correct that the space behind that walk is the air return for the furnace, from the grate behind the toilet and the opening under the hutch.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMarty--regarding the fridge part of your post, we put a 1.7 cu ft Haier in our basement just where you are talking about. Here is the link to the fridge: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.7-...Black/42490114

We did not install/modify anything and fridge works tremendously well at 1/2 setting. After contents are cooled down and then unplugged and traveling for 6 hours, beverages are still cold.

In our 303, when the AC is running, a certain amount of cool air "drops" into the basement area (mostly from under the hutch that Rob referenced below but also from the bedroom/other floor heat vents) and keeps the area cool. We found that keeping the basement doors closed helps cooling efficiency in the RV so the cold air is not escaping out open basement doors.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide