User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again - I am DA MAN!!!!

I'm back to regale you with another saga of Tom and his 5th wheel dilemmas.

So after a week of testing and frustration, I found the culprit to my electrical issue as being the converter. To GD's credit, I called warranty parts and spoke to a guy (forget his name - but he was cool) about my dead converter and he 2nd day delivered the converter.

Now mind you....this is T minus 3 days till lift off on our first camping trip and I was bound and determined that we were gonna meet that launch date come hell or high water.

I get the converter and immediately notice it is a 65 watt unit - awesome. In preparation for the install, I decided to do something that would make it easier if, and when, I had to replace that thing again. So I made up a disconnect from some Home Deepoe male & female plugs and I added some length using some 14/3 power cord I had. Before installation I plugged that sucka into the wall outlet in the shop. Immediately the fan came on (never did with old unit) and measured 13.8VDC. I finished off the wiring, installed the unit and here's the result. Notice that I used red and black heat shrink on the power leads to Murphy proof the install.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Converter1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	4789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Converter2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	4790

Now.....one would think, that I'd be ready to go. Ooooooooooh nooooooooo. That RV had another curve ball to throw me.

I fired up the RV, turned on just about most of the systems and everything was working like a well oiled machine. I did my celebration dance and looked at that front cap and said, "Now.....who's da man?" I'm putting away tools, reinstalling the closeout panel in the basement, and tidying up things and all of a sudden I hear POW! It was like a .22 Win-Mag. That was followed by HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I run to the propane tanks and shut both of them down. Whilst doing this, I see/hear/smell propane coming outta the top of the valve/regulator. I spot something on the ground and it's some kinda rubber cap thing that apparently blew off. I'm thinking, "God - I know you and this RV are testing me, but I refuse to be beaten". Here's the evidence photos:

Name:	Reg1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	4791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reg2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	4792

I call an RV dealership relatively close and they say they got something that'll work.

..........continued.............
    Last edited by GENESIS; 06-13-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I get there and all they had was a two stage valve/regulator by Mr. Heater. I had the old unit with me and the parts guy and service tech said the Mr. Heater would work and it was a better unit (naturally cause the dang thing was 80 bucks!).

I gotta pause here and ask you what kinda jackwagon would install these two propane hoses on the same RV? Can you tell the difference in these two end fittings? One from the right tank and the other from the left. And the inlet threads on the valve/regulator are the same!!

Name:	Reg3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	4793

AGHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Is it me, or does this crap drive anybody else BSC???? And the icing on the cake is that one hose end fitting is swiveling (making disconnecting easy) and the other IS NOT!!!!!!!! WTH is up wit dat???

I get home, fab a new bracket, paint it so it's nice & purdy, install the hoses (oh - and the supply hose for the RV is a non-swiveling end fitting too - thanks GD Grrrrrr....), open the tanks and everything is Kosher.

Name:	Reg4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	4794

So the amazing and talented Tom Adams saves the first camping trip.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Now, go have fun, drink a cold beverage for your tenacity
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom goodjob! Rock of the Marne to yah

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't know how helpless people can be RV'ers.

Most of those I run into in RV parks can run a wire, diagnose an A/C problem, and field dress a deer. And that's the wives.

I promise you that if there's any problem I cannot fix, I'm seldom going to pay my dealer's $110 per base hourly labor rate. I'll be on UTube.com watching how to do the fix.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the $110 an hour as much as how long will the dealer keep it and will he fix it right when it does get into the shop.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of those I run into in RV parks can run a wire, diagnose an A/C problem, and field dress a deer. And that's the wives.
    I don't care who you are, now that's funny (may have sprayed a little IPA on the PC screen )

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I honestly don't know how helpless people can be RV'ers.

I promise you that if there's any problem I cannot fix, I'm seldom going to pay my dealer's $110 per base hourly labor rate. I'll be on UTube.com watching how to do the fix.
    LOL.....But, yeah - I agree with you about having some working knowledge of systems, mechanicking, and, most important, noodling skills to ensure one doesn't get stuck.

Rhetorical question: Do you anticipate approaching your brand new car/truck with the same mindset? I don't. I have no reservations about packing up my 2016 Genesis, hitting the starter, and pointing it at the horizon. I don't make sure the bearings are greased or the electrical system is functioning as should be. I don't carry tools (hell - you can't work on them any more anyhow) and worry about the battery. I understand that maybe I'm comparing apples and sweet potatoes here. But IMHO....the RV industry is still stuck in the 60's when it comes to manufacturing and there's processes/techniques/concepts they could employ from other manufacturing sectors that have had to be innovative to stay ahead of the game.

It just pains me to have to troubleshoot/repair/replace failed components on a brand new RV that hasn't even been bumpity bump bumped down the road yet!! Not to mention not getting reimbursed for my labor! LOL......

Tom