User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm the odd ball in this group

Back 3 or 4 years ago when the wife & I committed to buying an RV, the things that were mandatory for us made it clear that my 2004 Nissan Titan wasn't gonna cut it. So the players became the venerable three: RAM2500, F250, and GM (aka whatever) 2500. Not sure why (because I've had plenty GM cars in my life), but the GM got third place on the test drive list. The F250 is a well proven truck - except for that 2 or 3 year span where they were having troubles with their powerstroke diesels. But it came in second on my list to test drive only because I liked the Cummins of the RAM product. A friend of mine had a 2014 F250, so I got quite a bit of seat time in it. And then a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.

I started reading up on the Titan part deux with the Cummins V8 turbo diesel. To be sure, the towing capability was all over the place with no one really knowing (well, I'm sure the Nissan Engineers knew/know) what the hell the thing would do. A friend of a friend (you know how that goes) was able to slip me some specs on drive train and suspension and testing loads. Adding 2 and 2 together to get 7, I was pretty convinced that the truck might be the little engine that could. So we pass a Nissan dealership on our way home and there's a brand new Titan XD. It doesn't hurt to look, right? Besides, I wanted to see it up close and personal - which we did - too personal! Three hours later and I'm driving it off the lot.

By all accounts from the literature and the plethora of sexual intellectuals (I'll let you decipher the meaning) out there in interweb land, this truck shouldn't be able to do what it is doing - namely, pulling my 337RLS with ease. This past weekend we went to Stone Mountain, GA. We logged a bit over 600 miles 'round trip and it averaged 11.8 mpg. The engine wants to run around 1800 - 2000 rpm and that equates to a comfortable 68 to 70+mph. Long moderately steep grades didn't phase it. Engine temps, turbo temps, trans temps remained mid-gauge even with outside temps over 90 degrees. Pulling a steep grade out of the campground didn't phase it. Honestly, no one is more shocked than I. In fact, because of the newness of the truck, I even had it written in the buyers agreement that if the truck cannot tow the 337, the deal was off (this set in motion GD home office folks calling Nissan technical support). Another potential issue was me being able to use the gooseneck system that the truck comes with and was designed for. This required me having to talk geek with a Reese Engineer and a Lippert Engineer. Additionally, sketches and dimensions were shared to determine if the Reese Goosebox system would work. Which was another contract stipulation because the truth was NOBODY was really certain what they were dealing with as there was nothing to go on except the tight tolerance specifics of "I think it'll work". BTW - the Goosebox is a nice design having both airbags and twin shocks. For my application, the box "snout" could be another 8 to 10 inches further forward because extreme swings get the nose of the RV too close to the cab for my liking.

The only thing I feel is a potential issue is the rear squat. The distance between the axle snubber and the snubber plate measures 5.6+ inches. With the RV on the ball the truck squats close to 2.25". Guesstimation says that's pretty close to 45% of the travel. I feel it needs to be more, so a set of airbags is in the immediate future.

Tom

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I did get a chance to see one close up at the auto show in January. I just read that the max tow capacity is 12,300 lbs. My 337 weighs in at a portly 13,500 lbs. I couldn't find anything regarding payload. Can you tell us what the sticker in the door jam says? Is it considered a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton truck?

Congrats on the new truck!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I couldn't find anything regarding payload.
    It looks like the payload is about 2,000lbs depending on the model.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just from personal experience, I've only towed a fifth wheel with a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup (both Dodge, both diesel). My last fifth wheel was a Prowler 32', weighing in at about 11,500 empty, probably closer to 13k the way we 'glamp'. I sure wouldn't have wanted anything less than that HD Dodge frame. Remembering that the trailer already outweighs you, and can develop a mind of it's own in the right circumstances, my job of just staying out in front of it was easier with the frame, brakes, engine I had at my disposal in the HD truck.

However, the guy I bought it from towed it between Idaho and Northern California twice a year with a Toyota Tundra (same class as the Titan) that he swore by, and when I bought it from him, he had just traded into a 34' Montana.

It's just one dumb guy's opinion that you should have as much truck as possible in front of these beasts
    Marlin & Laree Snyder
    Piper (Golden Retriever)
    Baker City, OR

2016 Reflection 337RLS (Piper's new dog house that she condescends to allow humans to inhabit occasionally)
    2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Shortbox Mega Cab 6.7L Diesel SRW
    Mopar (Ha! Curt) 25k Hitch

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...pswxidsicb.gif

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mksnyder View Post
    It's just one dumb guy's opinion that you should have as much truck as possible in front of these beasts
    You definitely are not alone in this opinion!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with a 2000 payload according to Towing Planner if you put in a 200 lbs driver and 250 hitch you would have:

You're adding approximately 450 lbs. to the truck. You have 1,550 lbs. of payload capacity. Fifth wheels typically have 20% - 25% pin weight which gives you a maximum loaded camper weight of 6,200 - 7,750 lbs.

http://towingplanner.com/Calculators...0&hw=250&ct=FW

I suggest you weight yours on CAT scale and find out by how much you are exceeding the the payload of the truck. Make sure you are under your tire weight ratings and your axle weight ratings. Don't go by the website dry weights or try to stubby pencil weights they are usually wrong.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    Not to burst your bubble but I would say your probably overweight with your 5er. Even though the Titan has plenty of power it is how it handles the braking and cross winds. Heaven forbid you get in an accident, did you sign an insurance waiver on that same sales agreement?
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS