Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing your 30BH

Wondering what those of you with a 30BH are towing it with. I've heard some say its half ton towable, but we all know that's a crock.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
    Wondering what those of you with a 30BH are towing it with. I've heard some say its half ton towable, but we all know that's a crock.
    Probably better to figure out the specs you need for your TV rather than to make a statement like that.
    With a 1600 lb dry pin weight, you should probably be looking for a truck with at least a 2600 lb payload.
    Many 3/4 ton trucks don't meet this requirement . . . but others exceed it by a good margin, so shop carefully.

Not all half tons are created equal. The F150 Ecoboost heavy payload package will carry and tow your 30BH. (2600 lb payload). A lot depends on what your TV is doing when it is not towing. Different if it is dedicated to hauling your trailer or is it your daily driver ? We have 2 years and 10,000 towing miles under the wheels of our F150 and similar size 303RLS that says this is not "a crock". Air bags not required to tow level BTW.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Rob, that wasn't meant to offend. I don't consider the Eco-boost a half ton since there isn't another vehicle like it with the payload and tow ratings it has, so I wasn't even thinking of that one. Aside from the Eco-boost I don't believe any other half ton has the payload to consider towing a 5'er over 9K lbs and stay under the ratings. Even the Titan XD Cummins is only about 2000 lb of payload, but I'm sure it could pull a 5'er no problem. Heck even the Ram 6.7 CTD has a low payload around 2200-2300 lbs, but it'll pull a mountain across country.

I did have a guy next to me Memorial Day weekend with what i believe was a GD 27RL towed by a Tundra half ton.

I have a Ram HD 6.4 Hemi with 2904 lb of payload, 10K GVWR, and 12,600 tow rating. The DOT limits most 3/4 ton trucks numbers to 10K GVWR even when their axles and payload can handle much more. I'll actually be at the limits of my numbers with a 30BH. Just wondered what others were using.
    Last edited by RoadDog66; 06-14-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
    Sorry Rob, that wasn't meant to offend. I don't consider the Eco-boost a half ton since there isn't another vehicle like it with the payload and tow ratings it has, so I wasn't even thinking of that one. Aside from the Eco-boost I don't believe any other half ton has the payload to consider towing a 5'er over 9K lbs and stay under the ratings. Even the Titan XD Cummins is only about 2000 lb of payload, but I'm sure it could pull a 5'er no problem. Heck even the Ram 6.7 CTD has a low payload around 2200-2300 lbs, but it'll pull a mountain across country.

I did have a guy next to me Memorial Day weekend with what i believe was a GD 27RL towed by a Tundra half ton.

I have a Ram HD 6.4 Hemi with 2904 lb of payload, 10K GVWR, and 12,600 tow rating. The DOT limits most 3/4 ton trucks numbers to 10K GVWR even when their axles and payload can handle much more. I'll actually be at the limits of my numbers with a 30BH. Just wondered what others were using.
    RoadDog66,
    I realize this is an old thread... We picked up a new (to us) 2017 GD 30BH that I pulled back from Provo UT (550 miles) Weighed in at Larimer WY. Rear loading was 2010#’s with the trailer and a bunch of tools and supplies in the back of my truck and the back seat fold flat storage. The trailer had a half full fresh water tank and a black tank that was half full of sludge (plugged and real yucky). Nothing in the basement. I offer this only as context to say, I pull with an 06 Ram 2500 6speed, BBi .5 injectors and Timbren suspension assist. It was slightly over the 1947# (IIRC) payload. At no time was I beyond the trucks capability (though I was admittedly outside of the stated payload) Axle AAM 11.5, 3X life wheel bearings and E rated tires. PS - I got 11.5 MPG (hand calculated) - this is a shout out to BBi.

I’ve been following Rob since I joined this forum and really respect his and others views posted here. Take this for what you will. I love my truck and beyond adding either an exhaust brake or disk setup on the 30BH (or both), I expect it to perform both admirably and safely.

Take care,
    Scott.
    Last edited by Solem8080; 11-17-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Misstated information
    Scott & Cora
    2017 Reflection 30BH
    Colorado