User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    garynkim79

First Time Grand Design Buyer

My wife and I are looking into buying a GD Solitude 300GK-R. I've been shopping around and have noticed that several dealers have added things on the MSRP Sheet that Grand Designs has listed as Mandatory. My question is this a common practice or are these dealers trying another scam. Thanks for any info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's standard practice. If an option is mandatory, I think it should be standard equipment
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 'Mandatory Option' is a RV Industry invented term!

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An oxymoron if there ever was one! It threw me off when we were shopping for our RV as well.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

garynkim79
    Thanks for the replys. It seems to me that if it's listed as mandatory then it should be in base price. Should I haggle over these being included?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "mandatory option" is just the manufacturer's way of pointing out to the customer, some of the high value content that they are including in their standard build. Once the dealer gets control of the pricing and customers are shopping competitive products, this premium content gets lost in the discussion . . . unless it is pointed out on the "mandatory options" list.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    garynkim-
    You can haggle over the details of how the dealers arrive at their out the door initial offer, or you can ignore the smoke and get to the bottom line. They love buyers who talk details, and end up signing a purchase agreement that gives the dealer a lot of profit! We may have done that too! Here is my suggestion. Tell three dealers you are ready to buy. Ask for their bottom line price. Tell them you are a cash buyer, or have arranged your own financing. We bought in Denver, because we lived in the area. I know a dealer in Lincoln, NE. They were $500 less, and offered free delivery to Colorado. We were declaring residency in SD, so sales tax was paid by us to SD, not CO or NE. I THINK we bought for about 25% off, but not really sure! It would be nice if the dealer had great service, but few do! You are buying the right product, negotiate with your head. Best of luck!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the dealership gets a kick back from the financing companies I would not tell them how you paying for the RV prior to getting the finial price. Cash isn't king in this world anymore the amount you finance and the size of the kick back the dealers gets from the financing company is now king.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

garynkim79
    Thank you guys for the great advice. Sounds really good. I've actually read where some people actually got close to 50% off MSRP. This has given me some great insight.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Mandatory Option prices are one lump price. You have no way of knowing how much you're really paying for all the lumped in stuff. Just another way for MFGs to jack up the MSRP so when you get 20-30% off it looks like your getting a good deal. When in reality you're still paying for the items in the Mandatory Option package but not at the inflated rate, but the 20-30% off rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast