Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Surge Guard install - 300GK

Today was the day to install a Surge Guard in our Solitude 300GK .I had bought a hardwire 50 amp unit from the dealer when we picked up our 5W, it showed up a day or two ago. The service guy had told me that they install them in 1.5 hours by cutting the romex cable and inserting the SG in between. He said it was easy. [emoji2]
    When I got it, I went out to open up the garage and remove the panel hiding the pipes and wires. I had heard that there was a mess in there, but was still surprised when I saw it.
    I found the big 6-3 with a ground romex cable and tried to figure out where I could mount the SG, and get the wires to reach each end, and the only way to do it without adding wire was to make a bracket and sort of hang the unit from the wall framing and the floor joists. The pictures show it pretty well, but I took 2 metal L brackets and bolted them together to form a Z. Sort of. Then those were screwed to the wood framing behind all the mess of pipes and wires. I then screwed a board to those brackets and added a little bracket from the board up to the aluminum floor framing. That stiffened up the mounting board nicely.
    Then I had to take it all down because I forgot to put on those little wood blocks on the end of the board with the cable clamps.
    After it was all back up and secured, I mounted the SG to the board. Then it was time to cut the romex cable. Once I decided where to cut, so I would have enough cable to make up the connections, I made the cut, then striped back the insulation and inserted the wires into the connection block.
    I had also bought the remote monitor panel, so I plugged it in and went to turn on the shore power. Everything tested out good.
    Now it was time to figure out where and how to mount the remote display panel. While in the garage, I could see where all the wiring was routed up inside a wall to the distribution panel and control center and figured that that would be the right spot. . When I unscrewed the switch panel above the electric distribution panel inside the stairwell, (sorry no pictures ) I found that it was designed to hold this remote, or something like it because the cover was already scored for a hole that was the right size to fit the remote display. It was easy to fish tape the wire up from the garage to the control box. Then I cut the hole in the plastic cover panel, mounted the display, plugged it in, put everything back together, and, viola, I'm done.
    4.5 hours! [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 82alaska; 06-20-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: misspellings
    Scott & Glenda
    2017 Solitude 300 GK
    2018 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4x4 CrewCab SRW Denali
    DEMCO Hitchhiker 18K Autoslide
    Air Lift 5000+ air bags with onboard wireless-one compressor, Retrax bed cover

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sg pictures

Scott & Glenda
    2017 Solitude 300 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SG Pictures 2

Scott & Glenda
    2017 Solitude 300 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SG Pictures 3

Scott & Glenda
    2017 Solitude 300 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the misspellings. How do I edit my post?

Scott & Glenda
    2017 Solitude 300 GK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my plug into the pole Progressive surge protector took a hit it would not come back on line. When I called Progressive they said that the Progressive did it job and depend how big hit it takes that sometimes it won't come back online and needs to be sent in for repair. I sent in within about 10 days it was returned fix and good as new. It took the hit the second day of 12 day trip and I made a quick trip to CW and purchased a another cheaper brand to use on that trip and now I carry it as a spare. My question is how easy would be to pull the Progressive and restore power to the coach? What's your plan if the progressive does take a hit and won't come back on line?
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 82alaska View Post
    Sorry about the misspellings. How do I edit my post?
    Click on the 'Edit Post' below the post you wish to change.

I also merged all of your surge protector threads into one.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice install! You wouldn't get it like that from the dealer.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO, if your question is what will I do if my Surge Guard takes a surge that burns out that part of the protection, I will have to check, but I believe that the unit will still work and still protect me from the other potential issues like open neutral, low voltage, miss-wired pedestal, etc. The only thing that will not be available is the Surge protection part. If that is the case, I will continue my camping trip, and order a new one to replace the one that took the surge hit. I would just be camping without any surge protection. Which is only part of the reason that I bought that particular unit. If the unit dies completely, and will not pass power thru to the coach, I will go buy some extra wire and kearny type connectors, a couple boxes, and get in there and remove the SG, and jumper between the ends of the romex.

Then I will continue camping unitl I get another SG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast